--- In FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com, "richardatrwilliamsdotus" <richard@...>
wrote:

> raunchydog:
> > I missed an opportunity to ask if he got
> > his idea to abolish child labor laws from
> > reading Dicken's Oliver Twist.
> >
> So, you're a Dickens reader.
>
> But, when did Newt Gingrich advocate abolishing
> child labor laws? According to what I've read,
> Gingrich only wants to ease the laws so that
> more teenagers can get jobs at Safeway.
>
> "Republicans and businesses that share Gingrich's
> view see easing the restrictions as part of their
> effort to cut back government regulation while
> giving teenagers a chance to learn valuable work
> habits..."
>
> 'Newt Gingrich leads push to ease child-labor laws'
> San Francisco Chronicle, December 20, 2011
> http://tinyurl.com/7u7pelw

You got me there, Richard. Now that you've explained it, I see that easing
child labor laws sends the wrong message to children of the elite 1% whose
parents foreclose on homes and rip off public pensions. It might give rich kids
the idea that replacing public union workers so they can hone their skills
scrubbing toilets is something they should aspire to.