The opening scene is very Pacific Northwest. I lived in Oregon in my early
twenties. Beautiful - climbed Mt. Hood once with three friends - not to the
top, but up high enough (10K') that when I looked out over the mountain range,
it was all snow and peaks as far as the eye could see.

Also camped out near the Three Sisters once, south of Mt. Hood. Mid-July at
6,000 feet and it began snowing! Was planning to stay a month - left after
three days. I did love the three months of bright blue sky summer in the
Willamette Valley. Last time I was in the PNW, I taught tech in Bellevue, WA in
the early 90's, with Mt. Ranier in-your-face.