--- In FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com, cardemaister <no_reply@...> wrote:

> > So, the depth(?) of samaadhi/samaapatti associated with
> saMyama/siddhi-s> seems to be able to be anything from
> nirvitarka/nirvitarkaa "down to" at> least saasmitaa (sa + asmitaa:with
> asmitaa):> smRtiparisuddhau svaruupashuunyevaarthamaatranirbhaasaa
> nirvitarkaa. (I> 43)> etayaiva savicaaraa [samaapatti/samaadhi -- card]
> nirvicaaraa ca> shuukSmavishayaavyaakhyaataa. (I 44)>
> III 5 goes like this:
> tajjayaat prajñaalokaH; (tat-jayaat prajñaalokaH).
> "Sucker" Taimni translates it like this:
> By mastering it (saMyama) the light of the higher consciousness.
> Just for fun, let's "study" the compound word prajñaalokaH.  How many
> interpretationsare possible? Let's suppose, that the first part is
> either prajña or prajñaa.
> Tasmin sati, we get the following possible combinations:
> prajña + alokaH
prajña + aalokaH
prajñaa + lokaH
prajñaa +> alokaH
prajñaa + aalokaH.

Vyaasa's comment on that suutra (III 5) begins like this
(transliterating from devanaagarii):

tasya saMyamasya jayaat samaadhi-prajñaayaa bhavatyaalokaH (bhavati+
aalokaH)...

Judging by that, the correct components of 'prajnaalokaH' above
seem to be

prajñaa + aalokaH.

So, in that case "sucker" Taimni's translation for 'prajñaalokaH'
(the light of the higher consciousness) might be acceptable.

We seem to recall Maharishi once said something like:

The acid test of full enlightenment is the ability to perform
siddhi-s at will.

Or something to that effect.

In YS III 5, Patañjali seems to corroborate that: from the
mastery of saMyama [follows] the light of consciousness; or stuff.