--- In FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com, Bhairitu <noozguru@...> wrote:

> On 01/05/2012 11:56 PM, cardemaister wrote:
> >
> > --- In FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com, Bhairitu<noozguru@>  wrote:

> >> That reference is for the different 7th chords on C such as C maj7 C7
> >> Cmi7 Cdim7 etc.  But a dominant chort is the 5 chord which would be G in
> >> the key of C.  Go look up "dominant chord."
> >>
> > OK. But I think in "normal" 12 bar blues in C, the seventh chord
> > is (usually?) C7. Isn't that then called a dominant seventh?
>
> A C7  would be a dominant seventh chord for the key of F.  You need to
> study music theory from the ground up or you'll be confused.

This from one website (emphasis added):

Dominant Seventh Chord
One area of confusion when naming or identifying seventh chords is the use of
the term dominant seventh chord.
If you look at the table above summarising the degree of the scale where each
type of seventh chord occurs, you will see that the dominant seventh need not
lie only on the Vth degree of the scale, the degree we call the dominant.
Indeed, in the natural minor scale, the dominant seventh chord lies on the
VIIth degree not on the Vth degree.
The point to remember is that the ***dominant seventh chord is any chord formed
by adding a minor seventh to a major triad***. Remember too that the chord's
note name is determined by its root note. So the chord G B D F is written G7
because the root note is G. G B D is a major triad and F is the minor seventh
above G. This chord, therefore, is a dominant seventh chord.
In the key of C major, the notes G B D F form a seventh chord on the Vth
degree, i.e. a dominant seventh on the dominant of the scale. This is also true
for the C minor natural and C minor melodic scales. However, the same notes, G
B D F, are a G7 chord and a dominant seventh on the fourth (IV) degree of the D
melodic minor scale.
For completeness, we note finally that the notes G B D F are also a G7 chord
and a dominant seventh on the seventh (VII) degree of the A natural minor scale.