--- In FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com, cardemaister <no_reply@...> wrote:

> the o-sound is long: ~ saw-muh, because in Sanskrit, the o-sound
> represents the former diphthong 'au' (~ as in 'how'; cf. om, aum).
> LoL!

Well, yikes, after listening to the pronunciation of
'how' on translate.google.com, I'd say that the Finnish
pronunciation of 'au' in, say, 'sauma' (seam) might be quite a lot closer to
Sanskrit 'au', as e.g. in 'saumya', meaning 'relating
to soma' ('saumya' is so called vRddhi derivative from 'soma').

So, 'how' sounds to me rather like 'huh-aw'... :o
One might expect the google pronunciation represents
standard (American?) English pronunciation? E.g. Texans
prolly pronounce for instance 'how' quite differently
from that of translate.google.com...??