What a fest(ival)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cma7XC6AlAI

--- In FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com, "feste37" <feste37@...> wrote:

> authfriend is right, as usual. I like Glass's work a lot. In fact, I
think that Satyagraha, the opera Emily alluded to, is one of the finest
operas written in the 20th century. It stretches the genre beyond what
one might have thought possible -- an opera with basically no plot and
sung entirely in Sanskrit. Who could have imagined such a thing? And yet
he pulls it off, and much of it is extremely moving. I'm thinking
particularly of the last scene in which Gandhi, alone on stage, sings
the words of Krishna about how he manifests himself whenever unrighteous
rules, and comes to restore balance. (It's the Gita, chapter 4 verses
5-8.) Saw the opera in the live telecast from the Met late last year.
Fabulous experience that reminded me of why I am alive -- to experience
something through literature or music that is quite beyond the common
run of day-to-day feelings and helps me to remember the depths of
things. I'm noticing that it's not as easy to discover such things as it
was when I was younger, so when something like this turns up, I treasure
it.

> --- In FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com, "authfriend" jstein@ wrote:
> >
> > --- In FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com, Emily Reyn <emilymae.reyn@>
wrote:

> > > I love the cello...almost posted a Philip Glass cello piece
> > > last night, but it was long...and depressing :)�This fellow
> > > is wonderful and thank you for posting.
> > >
> > > So, did I get the joke...was it the repetitive nature of the
> > > song that prompted Feste? Am I living in another too literal
> > > world altogether?
> >
> > Feste's quip was actually very witty. Glass is known for
> > pieces that repeat and repeat, but then introduce a little
> > bit of variation, then repeat and repeat that, then
> > little bit of variation and repeat that, and so on, just
> > like Feste's first response. It's a style that's usually
> > called "minimalism." This was in his earlier days, though;
> > he's writing different kinds of music now.
> >
> > > Are not chants repetitious? Are not bhajans repetitious? I
> > > love repetition when done to certain musical themes; it is
> > > mesmerizing and transports.
> >
> > Sure. That's what Glass intends, to provoke a sort of
> > hypnotic state that then gets shaped by the little
> > variations. Nothing wrong with it at all, but for some it
> > may be an acquired taste (one I haven't acquired). I don't
> > think Feste meant it as a criticism. He was just mimicking
> > that style in words.
> >

> > > ________________________________

our friendship )
> > > tejasvināvadhītamastu mā vidviṣāvahai (May
our life be brilliant, may we never
> > > misunderstand)
> > > http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OFcGgmWStnM
> > > --- In FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com, Emily Reyn <emilymae.reyn@>

on that point.  I actually liked it and haven't been privy to him - this
joke goes over my head as well, unless you are pointing out that
repetition is his gig in a lot of the music he composes.

feeble Philip Glass joke. Here's another one:

from the video telling the story of the Bhagavad Gita that Buck sent.
 He was on of the speakers and is also a composer.  He did
the score for the movie The Hours, which I never saw, but may now.
 You may already know this :).

much. I like it. I like it. I like it a lot . A lot. A lot. I like it. I