--- In FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com, Bhairitu <noozguru@...> wrote:

> I haven't seen anyone driving one but they could be easily
> mistaken for a Toyota Yaris, but they are selling the Mitsubishi
> electric which I started seeing about 6 months ago on display at
> the Mits dealer. They have the range and speed to be a very
> practical car for around here but the damn thing costs about as
> much as my Forester did. If I had the spare change I might get
> one (or the long promised not appearing Subaru electric) and
> keep the Forester for trips.  I could put solar cells on the
> roof to charge it though this community is putting in more
> charging stations (they have some downtown).  They are parking
> spots where you put change in the meter and hook up.

I saw my first instance of this in a movie or TV show
recently, although I (sadly) cannot remember in which
movie or TV show I saw it. Maybe it was an episode of
"The Firm" that I checked out recently to see if it
had gotten any better; it hadn't. Anyway, a female
detective or lawyer or whatever is driving her associate
around town trying to solve a crime, and she exits from
a public building, unplugs her car from the charging
station, and drives away. It just made so much sense.

> This is a refinery town but I swear there are more Prius's
> here than you'll see per capita elsewhere.  I think the
> refinery people know something. Smart cars also appeared
> early here. The remaining (now gone) Chrysler dealer in
> this small down sold Gem cars too but those things were
> too slow that the couple driving one down the street
> switched to a smart car later.

You know me. I drive an old Peugeot 306 diesel that
still gets better mileage (on diesel fuel, which costs
considerably less than gasoline here in Europe) than
any of the hybrid cars on the market. Also, if the
world really does go to hell in a handbasket, my car's
diesel engine can be easily converted to run on left-
over cooking oil from McDonalds.  :-)

That said, I rarely get in my car at all. The public
transportation here in the Netherlands is on the whole
cheaper, more stress-free, and faster than driving a
car. I ride my bike far more often than I use my car.
Different strokes for different folks; different rides
for different sides of the Atlantic.  :-)