--- In FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com, "authfriend" <jstein@...> wrote:

> --- In FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com, "Xenophaneros Anartaxius" <anartaxius@>
> wrote:
> >
> > Response to Judy.
> <snip>
> > > As I go back and reread your post, though, I'm a little
> > > confused as to whether by "devotion" you mean devotion
> > > to MMY or a devotional path as in bhakti yoga. There's
> > > some overlap, I suppose, when the master is seen to be
> > > a manifestation of the Divine so that in worshipping
> > > him or her one is worshipping God, but one can certainly
> > > practice bhakti yoga in the sense of worshipping a
> > > personal form of God as a path to enlightenment without
> > > having a master.
> >
> > I used the term 'devotional path' in a general way; being
> > devoted to communism could have the same emotional weight
> > as a spiritual path. As usual I am using terms in a way
> > that is more vague than you tend to prefer.
>
> It's not so much a matter of my preference. If all you want
> is vague comments, that's fine. But the three situations--
> bhakti as a path, devotion to the master as a path, and
> devotion to the master as a means of implementing the
> "mechanical" path--are very different in terms of why and
> how they develop in a spiritual organization, so if you
> want meaningful comments they need to be differentiated.

With regard to the mechanical path, I do not recall MMY talking about it being
related to devotion. He spoke of TM as a mechanical means to achieve
enlightenment, sans devotion apparently. That path is probably furtherest from
devotion, at least as I think about it. Since bhakti is not really my thing, I
probably do not distinguish much between flavours of devotion as to what, etc.