--- In FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com, awoelflebater <no_reply@...> wrote:

> Thanks Barry, that's what happens when I don't see something
> until 5 years after it occurred.

On the other hand, there are folks on FFL now who weren't
there for the previous discussion.

I have a number of beefs with the whole experiment. One
of them is the choice of instrument and music. It's almost
as if the choices were made to ensure that as few people
as possible would be arrested by the music as they hurried
to work. The Bach Chaconne in particular is not a piece
that most people would instantly recognize as "beautiful"
unless they had had considerable exposure to classical
music. I have had such exposure, and Bach is my favorite
composer, but I didn't begin to appreciate the Chaconne
until I'd heard it four or five times.

Nor is solo violin the easiest to appreciate, depending
on the piece. None of those listed in the article were all
that likely to attract ears that weren't already familiar
with classical music.

For me, the *scandale* demonstrated by the experiment is
that so few people get an education in or much exposure
to classical music.

Most people are not aesthetes; they don't automatically
recognize beauty in whatever form it presents itself.
There's a certain snobbery, it seems to me, in
basically putting down folks who aren't instantly
responsive to beauty in a form one is accustomed to
experiencing and appreciating by virtue of one's own
background.

I've never gone to the trouble to expose myself to and
learn about rap music, in which some people take great
aesthetic satisfaction; I'd be highly unlikely to stop
to listen to a rap group, even one featuring a major rap
star, performing in a subway station during rush hour.
Does that make me a grind and a dullard who lacks the
capacity to appreciate beauty? Or 12-tone music, for
that matter, which my sister enjoys. She'd stop to
listen to a subway performer playing a Schoenberg piece;
I wouldn't.