--- In FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com, Emily Reyn <emilymae.reyn@...> wrote:

> Thank you Judy. I loved it...it plays like a conversation.
> And I will certainly listen to it several more times. There
> is little I like more on a Sunday morning than classical.

No two violinists play the Chaconne the same way. It's
an intensely personal piece. Try some of the other versions
on YouTube when you listen to it again.

I'm one of those people who likes to have continuous
background music for whatever I'm doing. There's a neat Web
radio site that has a station called Otto's Baroque Musick,
which I have on almost all the time. Given that there isn't
an unlimited amount of Baroque music on record, pieces get
repeated on a fairly regular basis.

I'd heard the Chaconne in the background a number of times
before it really caught my attention. I went, WHOA!, stopped
my work, and actually listened to the piece. Now whenever it
comes on, I *have* to stop what I'm doing and just listen to
it all the way through. It never fails to move me, in
different ways depending on who's playing it and where my
head is at at the time.

FWIW, Bach is said to have written it after returning home
from a lengthy absence and discovering that his beloved wife
had died while he was away. You can certainly hear grief and
anguish in the piece, but those are far from the only
qualities to be discovered in it.