--- In FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com, "Patrick Gillam"
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> Comment below.
>
> > > Gillam:
>
> > > In the book, though -- I don't remember if the movie
> > > covers this ground or not -- Queeg is vindicated in the end.
> >
> > shempmcgurk:
> >
> > In a way.
> >
> > In the movie, the last scene -- after the alleged mutineers
triumph
> > at court and are found not guilty -- is the celebration of the
> > acquited and their friends.  Then their advocate -- played by
Jose
> > Ferrer -- comes in drunk and says that they and himself all let
down
> > Queeg because they should have been a friend to him.
>
> Is that how it played? I want to see that movie again.
>
> The quote at the very bottom of this post is by Ferrer's
> character, Greenwald. He feels bad because men like
> Queeg -- whom Greenwald humiliated -- were on the
> front lines against the Nazis, who in turn wanted to turn
> all the Jews into soap.
>
> In what I read at the link below, Greenwald's point is not
> that the crew should have been a friend to Queeg, but that
> Queeg deserves respect for being the man on duty when
> war broke out, and all the rest of the officers who were to
> meet on the Caine were still in school or otherwise doing
> their civilian thing.

Greenwald was upset that they reacted to Queeg's missteps at sea by
becoming his adversaries so to speak instead of helping him see his
mistakes and overcome them.

As for being on the front line against the Nazis, my memory is that
their boat was in the Pacific, not the Atlantic.

But I'm only going on memory.

I do remember it being one of the best roles Humphrey Bogart played,
which is hard to do because so much of what he did was great.

> The Caine Mutiny is an interesting metaphor for the TMO
> because, although we can argue that Maharishi is acting
> from dementia now, he was the guy who tried to save us
> from our own madness, and for some of us, succeeded.

Interesting metaphor.

Of course, the crew of the boat had access to Queeg. 99.9% of
the "troops" in the TMO haven't had access to MMY in years OR the
ability to interact with him to tell him how they feel about things.

<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> > --- In FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com, "Patrick Gillam"
> > <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> > > --- In FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com, TurquoiseB
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
> > <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
> > <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

> > > Only with this post have I seen the parallel: The
> > > Caine Mutiny. The independent TM teachers are
> > > mutineers who've done what they've done to save
> > > the ship.
> > >
> > > http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0046816/
> > >
> > > In the book, though -- I don't remember if the movie
> > > covers this ground or not -- Queeg is vindicated in the end.
> >

> > In a way.
> >
> > In the movie, the last scene -- after the alleged mutineers
triumph
> > at court and are found not guilty -- is the celebration of the
> > acquited and their friends.  Then their advocate -- played by
Jose
> > Ferrer -- comes in drunk and says that they and himself all let
down
> > Queeg because they should have been a friend to him.
> >

> > > from http://www.writing.upenn.edu/~afilreis/50s/caine-mutiny-
> > text.html
> > >
> > > Keefer quickly said, "Speaking, from ignorance, sir, my,
> > understanding is that mental
> > > disability is a relative thing. Captain Queeg was a very
strict
> > disciplinarian, and extremely
> > > meticulous in hunting down the smallest matters, and quite
> > insistent in having his own
> > > way in all things. He was not the easiest person in the world
> > reason with. It wasn't my
> > > place to question his judgments, but there were several
occasions
> > when I thought he bore
> > > down too hard and spent excessive time on small matters. Those
are
> > the things that were
> > > recorded in the medical log. They were very unpleasant. But to
> > jump from them to a
> > > conclusion that the captain was a maniac -I was compelled in
all
> > honesty to warn Maryk
> > > against doing that."
> > >
> > >  - testimony by officer Keefer
> > >
> > > " Queeg deserved better at my hands. I owed him a
favor, 'don't
> > you see? He stopped
> > > Hermann Goering from washing his fat behind with my mother."
> > >
> > >  - the attorney Greenwald to the acquitted officers of the
Caine