Last night I saw part of Bill Maher's "Real Time" on HBO (I can only
take it in small dribs and drabs).  They had a discussion
about "chickenhawks"...I understand the term to mean people in
government who wage war without having risked their own lives during
wartime.

Part of the conversation centered on John Kerry having served in
Vietnam and therefore NOT being a chickenhawk and George Bush who
did not and therefore, it was suggested, WAS a chickenhawk.

But if the definition of chickenhawk rests upon the risk to one's
life, let's examine some statistics regarding professions and the
chance of entering that profession and being killed:

[the following is from "World Almanac Book of Facts ,1998", p. 181]

Number serving during Vietnam War:  8,752,000
Number of battle deaths:   47,393
Number of battle deaths as a percentage of number serving: 0.5%

[the following are well-known statistics]

Number serving as presidents in U.S. history: 43
Number of death due to assassinations: 4
Number of assassinations as a percentage of number serving: 9.3%

Thus, becoming president of the U.S., you have a 2,300% higher
chance of being killed than serving in the military during the
Vietnam War.

Is it fair, then, to label George Bush a Chickenhawk?

Plus, George Bush DID serve during the Vietnam War.  Whether he was
at risk as much as others I cannot assess as I don't know whether
there was a possibility his unit would have been called up; but,
unlike Clinton, he did serve.