--- In FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com, gullible fool <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
wrote:

> > > Number serving during Vietnam War:  8,752,000
> > > Number of battle deaths:   47,393
> > > Number of battle deaths as a percentage of number
> > > serving: 0.5%
>
> Ah, but how many of those serving were actually in
> combat? A sidha and former Green Beret who served in
> Vietnam once told me only 5 percent of the troops in
> Vietnam actually saw combat. If 5 percent, that would
> put the number of battle deaths as a percentage of the
> number SEEING COMBAT at 10.8 percent.
>
> As we all know, Kerry saw combat.

But when you sign up and serve, you don't know whether or not you're
going to see action.  So the odds of being killed in action are the
same for all that sign up.

If that holds true for George Bush, then he faced the same odds as
Kerry did going into the service.

Regardless, he chose the job of president which has a much, much
higher probability of being killed.

> > > Number serving as presidents in U.S. history: 43
> > > Number of death due to assassinations: 4
> > > Number of assassinations as a percentage of number
> > > serving: 9.3%
>
> The Secret Service does a much better job of
> protecting the Commander-in-Chief these days. JFK
> insisted on riding around in a convertible with the
> top down, in Texas, no less. The Secret Service did
> not want Kennedy riding around Dallas with the top
> down. In fact, Kennedy was advised to avoid Dallas
> altogether. The Kennedys' penchant for risk-taking is
> legendary in the US.

...and Reagan?  That bullet missed his heart by about 2 inches.
THAT was just a stroke of luck that he lived.

And Bush had a live grenade thrown at him in Ukraine or Georgia
recently (can't remember exactly where).