--- In FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com, "sparaig" <LEnglish5@...> wrote:

> > Of course nobody ever claimed TM produces a unique
> > state of consciousness different from sleep
> > *throughout the meditation period*. That "sleep-like"
> > stages may occur during TM says nothing whatsoever
> > about whether TM produces a unique state of
> > consciousness different from sleep, let alone
> > *refutes* that claim.
> >
> > This has also been pointed out repeatedly to Vaj.
>
> Well, R. Keith Wallace's original PhD thesis from 1970
> suggested this, but the claim hasn't been made in decades
> that I am aware of.

Ahem. Just a sampling from various TM org websites:

http://www.tmscotland.org/stress-transcendental-meditation.html
"Many scientific research studies have clearly shown that the
level of rest gained during Transcendental Meditation is deeper
than sleep or any other form of relaxation..."

http://www.maharishividyamandir.com/Transcendental%20Meditation.jsp
"The first ever scientific research on TM was conducted by Dr.
Robert Keith Wallace of U.S.A. who declared that during TM-the
mind remains fully alert but the body goes to deep rest-deeper
than sleep."

http://www.tmcityandeastlondon.com/articles/does-meditation-help-handle-stress/
"The profound state of rest gained when practising Transcendental
Meditation – deeper than sleep – is very good for your body."

http://www.tm.org/blog/people/reduce-stress/
"The role of the Transcendental Meditation technique is to
provide deep rest to the nervous system, deeper than sleep."

That's a random sampling from over 18,000 hits on Google
for the combination of "TM" AND "deeper than sleep". If
I search for "TM" AND "different from sleep" I get 1600
hits, most from official TM sources. If I search for "TM"
AND "different than sleep" I get 6820.

The point being that once a buzzphrase has entered the TB
TM lexicon, you just can't get rid of it. NO ONE CARES
whether what is being said is true, only that it can be
used to sell more TM.