Of course I run Linux (Ubuntu 10.04) and don't have problems with
viruses either.  I do have a Windows 7 machine and this afternoon when I
booted it up it once again wanted to know if I wanted to install new
"Catalyst" program from ATI.  Okay, I let it and about 10 minutes later
I got the machine back for use.  Why the hell it takes 10 minutes to
install their software is beyond me.  Bad engineering.  It didn't take
that long to download.  I hate some dweeb's idea at Microsoft that
"Libraries" would be a cool thing.  Unlike with XP I have to make a
mental note of where a program puts a file.

Linux isn't quit as geeky as people would like to believe and I keep
finding geeky quirks creeping into Windows.  Basically you are running
something akin to Linux on a Mac: BSD.  The main problem with Linux is
that vendors are afraid to put codecs and programs that need copy
protection on it.  So in the meantime free open source software that
gets developed replaces those programs anyway.