> Speaking of "digital introspection," and the future of
> considering ones digital landscape more real than the
> real landscape, here's a BBC video about an Android app
> that allows you to combine the two.
>
> A national museum in the UK has enabled its visitors to
> get a personal tour of several of the exhibits, narrated
> by a 3D version of a famous British science presenter:
>
> http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/programmes/click_online/9718563.stm
>
> When the teachers start to lose kids to their smartphones,
> the smart teachers develop apps for the smartphones. :-)

Where I live, kids can brings phones to school, but must turn them off except
at lunch.  STarting next year, all students from grade 5 up will be given
iPads.  I thin this is the beginning of major changes at schools.  WE already
have Smart Boards, but this is the next step.

For adults, there are new online free university level classes offered by
Harvard, Stanford, U Penn and other schools. Amazing access to knowledge for
anyone with internet access!

The New York Times
May 2, 2012
Harvard and M.I.T. Team Up to Offer Free Online Courses
By TAMAR LEWIN
In what is shaping up as an academic Battle of the Titans — one that offers
vast new learning opportunities for students around the world — Harvard and the
Massachusetts Institute of Technology on Wednesday announced a new nonprofit
partnership, known as edX, to offer free online courses from both universities.

Harvard's involvement follows M.I.T.'s announcement in December that it was
starting an open online learning project, MITx. Its first course, Circuits and
Electronics, began in March, enrolling about 120,000 students, some 10,000 of
whom made it through the recent midterm exam. Those who complete the course
will get a certificate of mastery and a grade, but no official credit.
Similarly, edX courses will offer a certificate but not credit.

But Harvard and M.I.T. have a rival — they are not the only elite universities
planning to offer free massively open online courses, or MOOCs, as they are
known. This month, Stanford, Princeton, the University of Pennsylvania and the
University of Michigan announced their partnership with a new commercial
company, Coursera, with $16 million in venture capital.

Meanwhile, Sebastian Thrun, the Stanford professor who made headlines last fall
when 160,000 students signed up for his Artificial Intelligence course, has
attracted more than 200,000 students to the six courses offered at his new
company, Udacity.

The technology for online education, with video lesson segments, embedded
quizzes, immediate feedback and student-paced learning, is evolving so quickly
that those in the new ventures say the offerings are still experimental.

"My guess is that what we end up doing five years from now will look very
different from what we do now," said Provost Alan M. Garber of Harvard, who
will be in charge of the university's involvement.

EdX, which is expected to offer its first five courses this fall, will be
overseen by a nonprofit organization governed equally by the two universities,
each of which has committed $30 million to the project. The first president of
edX will be Anant Agarwal, director of M.I.T.'s Computer Science and Artificial
Intelligence Laboratory, who has led the development of the MITx platform. At
Harvard, Dr. Garber will direct the effort, with Michael D. Smith, dean of the
faculty of arts and sciences, working with faculty members to develop and
deliver courses. Eventually, they said, other universities will join them in
offering courses on the platform.

M.I.T. and Harvard officials said they would use the new online platform not
just to build a global community of online learners, but also to research
teaching methods and technologies.

Education experts say that while the new online classes offer opportunities for
students and researchers, they pose some threat to low-ranked colleges.

"Projects like this can impact lives around the world, for the next billion
students from China and India," said George Siemens, a MOOC pioneer who teaches
at Athabasca University, a publicly supported online Canadian university. "But
if I were president of a mid-tier university, I would be looking over my
shoulder very nervously right now, because if a leading university offers a
free circuits course, it becomes a real question whether other universities
need to develop a circuits course."

The edX project will include not only engineering courses, in which computer
grading is relatively simple, but also humanities courses, in which essays
might be graded through crowd-sourcing, or assessed with natural-language
software. Coursera will also offer free humanities courses in which grading
will be done by peers.

In some ways, the new partnerships reprise the failed online education ventures
of a decade ago. Columbia University introduced Fathom, a 2001 commercial
venture that involved the University of Chicago, the University of Michigan and
others. It lost money and folded in 2003. Yale, Princeton and Stanford
collaborated on AllLearn, a nonprofit effort that collapsed in 2006.

Many education experts are more hopeful about the new enterprises.

"Online education is here to stay, and it's only going to get better," said
Lawrence S. Bacow, a past president of Tufts who is a member of the Harvard
Corporation. Dr. Bacow, co-author of a new report on online learning, said it
remained unclear how traditional universities would integrate the new
technologies.

"What faculty don't want to do is just take something off the shelf that's
somebody else's and teach it, any more than they would take a textbook, start
on Page 1, and end with the last chapter," he said. "What's still missing is an
online platform that gives faculty the capacity to customize the content of
their own highly interactive courses."