On 05/15/2012 11:13 AM, turquoiseb wrote:
> [...]
>>> first appeared) and turning them into TV series that
>>> get people hooked on watching stuff that makes no sense.
>>>
>>> I mean, really. "Fringe?" "Lost?" "Alcatraz?"
>>>
>>> I'll pass.
>> Somehow, his stuff has managed to mostly bypass my attention,
>> with one major exception. I watched less than half an hour of
>> the pilot episode of Fringe before shutting it off and never
>> watching it again. But, I'm *totally* addicted to Person of
>> Interest.
> I actually had never noticed that Abrams had a hand in POI.
> I never got past the first page for the series on the IMDB,
> which credits Johnathon Nolan as the Creator and doesn't
> mention Abrams until you dig WAY down in the credits. If
> his name appears onscreen as Executive Producer, I never
> noticed it.
>
> I wouldn't call myself addicted, but I've watched most
> of it, too. I'm looking forward to the final episode
> of the season next week because it guest stars one of my
> favorite actresses from "Dollhouse," Amy Acker. I think
> it's formulaic and many of the things I usually don't
> like, but for some reason I keep watching it, possibly
> because of Michael Emerson as Finch.
>
> In a way, the "tech" of "Person Of Interest" is fairly
> believable. Such "machines" actually exist in the NSA
> and the CIA and other agencies, parsing exabytes of
> data for keywords and phrases they think are meaningful.
>
> The same is true for a series I watched because I really
> liked Poppy Montgomery as a redhead :-), "Unforgettable."
> There's no "tech" in this one, just a rare human trait
> that actually exists. The character remembers everything
> she ever sees or hears. Everything. That makes her an
> interesting -- and effective -- police detective. Sadly,
> I hear this one has been cancelled, so clearly not
> everyone is as taken with redheads as I am. :-)
>
> I think the issue in question is Suspension Of Disbelief.
> All fictional TV is...uh...fictional. You know that going
> in. The only remaining questions are whether the story-
> telling and the characters and the actors playing them
> can suck you into the fiction. You "suspend disbelief"
> by definition when you enjoy a work of fiction.
>
> But some pieces of fiction are easier to suspend disbelief
> for than others. They have to follow "rules" to achieve
> this. First, the plot and plot elements and tech have
> to be internally consistent; you can't change the rules
> of how this fictional universe works in midstream (like
> "Lost" and "Fringe" are famous for doing). Second, they
> have to strike enough of a resonance in the viewer to
> make them *want* to suspend disbelief long enough to
> enjoy the product as a work of fiction.
>
> Asking me to suspend disbelief when watching "Fringe" was
> too much to ask. So was asking me to do the same for "Lost."
> "Alcatraz?" Don't even go there. :-)
>
> As for "Revolution," I see it as an example of pandering
> to a clearly profitable market -- those who believe in or

Or revolution. :-D

> I would imagine that a
> LOT of survivalist types will be watching it. But the
> whole premise I saw in the trailer turns me off so much
> that I don't think I can suffer through watching it,
> even though I am a fan of pop culture and like to keep
> up on what the pop is watching. The tech of the plot
> premise just sucks. It's asking me to suspend disbelief
> too much, and with (judging from the acting in the
> trailer) too little payoff.

Eric Kripke is also involved and I've enjoyed his work on
"Supernatural."  This last episode revealed what the "secret ingredient"
in this year's "uber demon", a corporate head of a food and restaurant
chain: high fructose corn syrup.  So they were able to do some good
comedy around what made customers of his products obese and in a stupor
while at the same time attacking HFCS.