--- In FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com, "sparaig" <LEnglish5@...> wrote:

> --- In FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com, "salyavin808" fintlewoodlewix@
wrote:

> > --- In FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com, "John" <jr_esq@> wrote:
> > >
> > > --- In FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com, "Jason" <jedi_spock@> wrote:
> [...]
> > >
> > > IMHO, this Observer is both within and outside this universe.
This could be
> > > the scenario if the multiverse theory is ever proved.
> >
> > Not really, the multiverse wouldn't have formed until the first
> > definite particles appeared about 3 mins after the big bang. It
> > was all a bit chaotic before that, all the forces unified - that
> > sort of thing, so any observer wouldn't have existed either.
>
> You don't understand the Multiverse theories. Assuming an infinite
universe,
>  there are an infinite number of exact copies of our own universe, as
well as
> an infinite number of slightly "off" copies as well as an infinite
number of
> radically different universes, all existing simultaneously *somewhere*
in
> THIS universe. The problem is that "universe" has two distinct
meanings in
> the above sentence:
>
> our "universe," and others like it, are local, but extremely large (by
our standards)
> conglomerations of space-time in a certain configuration, which we
believe
> came about after/due-to something called "the Big Bang."
>
> The "Type I Metaverse" is merely the infinite expanse of space-time in
which all
> "local" universes happen to exist.
>
> And "observer," in Hagelin's cosmology, is anything that collapses the
wave
> function, not just some cosmic uber-entity. Now, Hagelin likely
believes, as do I,
> that there is an emergent property of the totality of these observers
throughout
> any and all of the metaverses that has its own consciousness, but what
that is
> like  is impossible to say.

While I commend sparaig for his measured response, I will stay out
of this and all discussions of pure theory because they're...uh...pure
theory, and as such have a limited value to those of a more pragmatic
nature, such as myself.

However, as I have done lately when John Hagelin has been cited as
some kind of authority -- or even referred to as if he were a legitimate
scientist -- I feel it is worth pointing out who we're talking about:

For those who may be lurking here, and impressed with this "scientist's"
theories, I point out that the costume this gentleman is wearing is the
garb of a TM Raja (a "king" of an imaginary country invented by Maha-
rishi called the "Global Country of the Age of Enlightenment"). Most
who are allowed to wear this costume paid Maharishi (no shit) one
million dollars for the privilege. Mr. Hagelin, not being rich, seems
to have gotten his costume for free, in exchange for proposing theories
that seem to support Maharishi's "Vedic fundamentalist" view of the
universe and how it all works.

Dressed in costumes like this, John Hagelin Ph.D. is widely regarded in
the TM cul...uh, I mean movement as an official Big Deal. People flock
to him and regard him with a kind of groupie status that approaches awe,
and devout TM followers invoke his name in discussions as if he were a
real scientist. In addition, his "discoveries" in the world of "science"
have
landed him a cushy salary for life from the TM movement, for which
he serves as one of its major shills...uh, I mean spokespersons. I
suggest
that you bear this in mind when assessing the quality or validity of his
"research," the same way you might have some reservations about
accepting the research of a tobacco researcher whose salary and entire
life is paid for by the tobacco industry.

I've never met Mr. Hagelin. I suspect that if you got him away from the
TM movement he might be a nice guy. But a scientist? Never. He owes
his salary and the very fabric of his life to the TM movement he shills
for. I just thought that because his name is coming up here with
increased frequency, lurkers might want to know who exactly is being
cited as if the people citing him believed he was actually credible, and
thus be able to better form their own judgments of his credibility.

Carry on.