--- In FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com, "shempmcgurk"
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
<snip>
> If the Movement didn't want to mislead people they could have
> called it a scientific "grant" in the first paragraph instead of
> qualifying it 1,000 words later (by the way, a 2,500 word text is
> about 11 pages single-spaced...whoever heard of a press release --
> at least a successful press release anyway! -- being more than a
> few paragraphs or, at most, a page in length?  My God, this is a
> diatribe, NOT a press release!)

Most of the news stories I read cited the fact
that it was to be used for his research, so
apparently reporters aren't as lazy as you are.

> Just the fact that the movement had to qualify what is was that
> Nader actually "received" by saying that the money was to
> be "deposited in a bank" -- where else was he going to keep
> it...under his mattress -- suggests some sneaky wording and
> shenanigans going on.

Uh, no, it doesn't.  This was all quite
straightforward as far as the transfer of money
was concerned.  The point wasn't bank vs.
mattress; it was that the money wasn't for his
personal use.

> Sorry, Judy, it was a horrible "publicity stunt" and one that was
> not successful at all.

As I said, it was extremely successful, got all
kinds of coverage at the time.  It did just what
publicity stunts are supposed to do: enticed
reporters to attend in order to hear the spiel,
in the hope that some of them will reproduce some
of it in their news stories, which they did.  The
TM folks got to talk about the scientific research
on TM, including Nader's, and just generally pitch
TM and its theories as a formula for fixing the
world.

It was certainly no worse than other TM publicity
stunts, like the Yogic Olympics it used to hold
for the same reason, to get reporters in a room to
listen to a spiel by putting on a splashy event.

The spiel *itself* is weird, but that's another
story altogether.  Then your argument is with TM
for having such a spiel in the first place, not for
holding publicity stunts to promote the spiel.
That's what publicity stunts *do*, promote spiels.