--- In FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com, Peter <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
wrote:

> --- gerbal88 <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>
> snip
>

> > Having met many teachers, it is now not a problem to
> > conclude with a
> > fair degree of certainty [like everything,
> > constantly subject to
> > change, of course] that MMY is in no way "the real
> > thing". He is
> > clever, intelligent, quickwitted, charismatic and
> > widely experienced.
> > This enables him to play god better than god, but
> > doesn't make him
> > the real thing.
>
> I think the distinction has to be made here that
> whether a guru is the "real thing" or not has a lot to
> do with the karma/dharma between the student and a
> particular guru. Some people experience the infinite
> radiating from some gurus/teachers and others think
> that people that say such things about that particular
> guru are crazy. For me MMY has always been a profound
> catalyst for triggering deep experiences of
> consciousness. He therefore functions in a guru role
> for me. Now SSRS is in that role and has the same
> effect on me as MMY used to. Other gurus I've seen
> don't have that effect on me. It doesn't mean they
> can't function as a guru for somebody else, just not
> me. MMY is the real thing....for me. His surface
> behavior ultimately means nothing.

Hi, Peter - what you say sounds reasonable, although karmic
relationships are one of those touchy areas that don't lend
themselves to investigation.

Many fools, out and out creeps (including the fellow I worked with in
prison) have something to teach us as long as we are willing to
learn.

So, I don't dispute your reasoning at all. But I would have great
reservations about sending someone to MMY or the creep in prison;
unless I felt strontly that the person had something special that
could only be learned there. That can easily be twisted about; but I
am making a leap of faith that it will be taken the appropriate way.

Some people have something very worthwhile to teach and to learn from
them in particular; learning from them is in and of itself a
worthwhile and quite special endeavour. In my definition [and I
wouldn't for a second assume that I or anyone can concoct a workable
definition] a guru or teacher is someone who has something to teach,
something he has learned by legitimate means, something that has
value for many people and something that isn't readily available.

Imagine being able to take drawing lessons from Leonardo! Imagine
being of the calibre to be able to take drawing lessons from
Leonardo! But to Leonardo, your calibre might not be the issue, only
your desire to learn. And that makes him a great teacher in my book.

The guru/teacher in my definition is primarily concerned about not
only teaching, but working with his/her students so that they can
learn everything s/he has to teach. I don't see MMY being
particularly interested in people in that way. 'Here is the
technique, go be happy; especially, go. Don't hang around' seems more
MMY's style.

But we all have our teachers. Some we honour above others. I think
the situation becomes problematic, for self and others, when we take
a particular teacher and try to make him everybody's teacher. Worse,
is when a particular teacher tries to put himself in the position of
being everyones teacher. Then the red flags go a'flappin' and I head
for the hills.

I'd like to know more about SSRS and what he teaches. Any suggestions?