wgm4u:
> I haven't read the witch doctors book...

The book by Judith is a very slim paperback, just
219 pages with about a dozen ripped-off photos,
and really poor ones at that. Apparently Judith
actually took only three photos of the Maharishi
in the two years she was in the TMO.

What is more interesting to me was the part about
Ms Pittman and her position in the Maharishi's
so-called 'inner circle'.

How Judith got past Jemima and Nanda standing post
at the MMY's front door in the middle of the night
at a yoga camp in India is beyond me. Maybe Judith
crawled in by the bathroom window, except MMY's
house apparently didn't even have a bathroom.

Go figure.

There is one photo of the Maharishi sitting at a
dinning room table with the inner circle that is
really humorous though. He looks like a 'midget'
compared to the others at the table.

When I saw it my first thought was how in hell
would someone as attractive as Judith want to be
having sexual relations with a small guy like
that, if you know what I mean. Power and prestige?

Anyway, I do believe Judith was in love with the
Maharishi and he may have been in love with her.

But, the book is a big disappointment.

Instead, I'd recommend the new book ($20.00) by
Lola Willamson, a real scholar, who was a TM
initiate and teacher, as well as an insider in
Yogananda's Self Realization Fellowship, and the
Siddha Yoga Org.

Williamson's book makes Judith's account read
like a sleazy tabloid bought at a grocery store
check-out or a sidewaklk news-stand - not worth
more than a dollar, tops!

Work cited:

'Transcendent in America'
By Lola Williamson
New York University Press, 2010
260 pages. Illustrated. Notes. Index. Biblio.

Amazon review:

"This truly outstanding book is a major
contribution to the study of Hinduism, the study
of religion in America, and the study of
religion in general (particularly the field of
comparative mysticism and the epistemology of
religious experience).

Williamson manages to combine empathy for her
subject matter with scholarly rigor to produce
a work that is not only intellectually engaging,
but that also rings true for those of us who
practice within Hindu-inspired meditation
traditions..." - Jeffery D. Long