--- In FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com, akasha_108 <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
wrote:
> --- In FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com, "shempmcgurk"
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
> wrote:
> > --- In FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com, akasha_108 <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
>  I am not at all a fan of other things that he has done, but
education
> > and health is one area that I have heard he has done relatively
well.

> > You've heard wrong.
>
> "Relatively well" refers to comparision with Castro's other
> initiatives. I was under the impression that his health  and
education
> policies, while perhaps deficient in an absolute sense, were
better,
> more effective than his other programs.

Two issues:

1) Education; and

2) Health care.

We can immediately do away with education.  In the totalitarian
regime that Castro's communist dictatorshi oversees, there is no
freedom of expression, thought, or press.  This extends to the
universities and schools.  Therefore, we can all agree that without
that very basic freedom, education -- no matter how many PhD's or
doctors Cuba puts out -- is on the very lowest levels.

Health care.  Your life expectancy figures are skewered for one very
important reason: abortion is used as a means of contraception in
Cuba and is very frequently used.  This will greatly increase life
expectancy amongst those that get to be born.

As for health care, up until the fall of the Soviet Union, Cuba got
about $10 billion a year in aid from the USSR.  This artificial
boost to the economy (used as propaganda in the western hemisphere)
was used to aid areas that Cuba couldn't by itself tend to, such as
health care.  Once the USSR stopped its subsidies, Cuba experienced
a dramatic fall in health care and basic nutritional levels (Castro,
of course, continued to eat like the multi-billionaire he is).

Ironically, it was the allowing of U.S. dollars to flow to Cubans by
their U.S. relatives AND the opening up of limited capitalism (much
of it tourism) that saved Castro's butt.

http://www.cia.gov/cia/publications/factbook/rankorder/2102rank.html

> You imply that, relativly speaking, other of his programs were more
> effective (since in relative terms his health and eductation
programs
> arelowratedcomparedtohis other programs). That would imply that
some
> of his other programs are as effective or more so than those in the
> US. What programs were these?
>
> In terms of literacy, out of 67 rankings (many more countries --
due
> to lots of ties) Cuba is tied for 7th place (94%), compared to the
US
> at 4th place at 97%. Of course the US is bested by Poland, Russia,
> Jamacia, Hungary, and Tonga. So we probably have a lot to learn
from
> those coutries.
>
> It appears that you feel the 3% difference between the US and Cuba
> representsa dismal failure of Cuba. I wouldn't be so harsh. They
did
> better than Mexico, Greece and Hong Kong.
>
> http://www.theodora.com/wfb/1992/rankings/literacy_pct_1.html

Go compare Cuba's situation relative to the rest of Latin America to
their position today.