--- In FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com, "Xenophaneros Anartaxius"
<anartaxius@...> wrote:
<snip>
> The sentence 'For since the self is the individuating existence
> of a nature, God's presence, which is existence itself, can hold
> that self *at its highest quivering stress without absorbing it'
> seems to not be punctuated clearly. I would write 'For since the
> self is the individuating existence of a nature; God's presence,
> which is existence itself, can hold that self *at its highest
> quivering stress without absorbing it.' I think that semicolon
> makes it less ambiguous.

Just for the record: A semicolon would make it ungrammatical.
"For since the self is the individuating existence of a nature"
is not a complete sentence and therefore should not be followed
by a semicolon.

I see no ambiguity or problematic punctuation in the sentence
as written, FWIW.

Here's a sentence with the same structure:

Because she often works late, her husband, who does the
cooking, prepares dishes that she can warm up in the
oven when she gets home.