--- In FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com, cardemaister <no_reply@...> wrote:

> --- In FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com, "Xenophaneros Anartaxius" <anartaxius@>
> wrote:
> >
> > --- In FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com, cardemaister <no_reply@> wrote:

> > > It seems to me Xeno might perceive 'for' as a preposition, although
> > > in this case it's a conjunction, IMO. But how Xeno "gets" 'since'
> > > in that case, I have no idea whatsoever. (Perhaps 'for since' as
> > > an adverb /en bloc/, or stuff...)
> > >

> > Let me try again - first the original:
> >
> > 'For since the self is the individuating existence of a nature, God's
> > presence, which is existence itself, can hold that self at its highest
> > quivering stress without absorbing it.'
> >
> > I think this is how my mind broke up the sentence:
> >
> > [For since (I think I just mostly ignored this phrase]
>
> Well, that seems to me to be the very reason why you thought
> the sentence is "not punctuated clearly", IMHO.

I did see it, but obviously I parsed the sentence incorrectly. Part of that,
beside a lack of attention is when reading spiritual stuff there is a strong
tendency to read between the lines based on one's own experience. One
interprets what one reads in terms of that; there is no completely objective
reality. For me scientific reality is about as objective as it can get.