--- In FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com, "sparaig" <LEnglish5@...> wrote:

> My first official encounter with the TM-SIdhis was a lecture that Rick Archer
> and company presented in TUcson in the mid-70s.
>
> I certainly recall all the hooplah about floating and so on, but I also
> recall RIck (I believe it was Rick) saying that such things were
> "side-effects" and that if MMY could get the same results without distracting
> people with such side-effects, he would teach those techniques instead.

Consider the flying sutra, seems like the intention of that is
to become airborne. Certainly, the other sutras seem to have
specific outcomes in line with the actual words that aren't side effects but
the direct intention.

Like most I was taught to say the reason we do them is for the
benefits we get outside meditation but that we can expect to
master at least one or two of them (I managed none like every
one else I ever met). The get out clause we were taught is
that hopping is only *stage one* of flying, so even if we don't
actually float we can say we have achieved something supernatural. Which is
pretty funny really, like saying my half-hearted jogging efforts are merely
stage one of running at the speed of light. Any day now...