--- In FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com, "sparaig" <LEnglish5@...> wrote:

> As I have pointed out many times in this forum, MMY's exposition on Yogic
> Flying -that it comes in stages, including "hopping like a frog"- is straight
> out of the upanishads and other traditional texts.

> The fact that you don't want to acknowledge that this really IS how it is
> described in traditional circles speaks volumes about how you still have
> anger issues.

Ah, the old "you aren't enlightened enough to understand" argument.

Anyway, I know where the story comes from Lawson, be difficult to
live with the TMO for ten years and not be privvy to every little
myth that comes along.

The big question for me is: Why is it more likely to be true just
because it's old and Indian?

I'm going to answer my own question thusly: I think Marshy, in
common with all religious teachers has made a fundamental mistake
in taking ancient writings literally and that we don't have to
look too far to see why people are so keen to believe it these
days.

All civilisations have a "Legend of the fall" where we became
seperate from nature/god and lost our oneness that can only be
regained by meditation or a return to the true ways. Garden
of Eden, Age of Enlightenment etc. The same story but neither
actually happened, man isn't any more or less "fallen" or unenlightened now
than he was then because we didn't come from
a golden age of super powers and infinite happiness. Any
psychologist will tell you that our sense of loss and
difference all stems from our early *personal* dawn of
conciousness when we seperate from our mothers and gain self
awareness.

Deep down we all want to go back to that state and TM promises
a return, from day one the whole mythos you get taught is that
you are regaining your birthright, which is maybe truer than they realise it
just isn't in the sense that we are returning to the
wisdom of an earlier age, just regaining the lost comfort of early childhood.
That's the hope behind it anyway.

I even got enlightenment experiences for a while and saw how it
might work as a permanent fixture, but the problem is in the interpretation of
what's happening, give it a bit of ancient
"oneness with nature" or "fulfilling the ancient birthright" spin
and you can start a religion.

Describe it as a bit of psychological bounce-back or "restructuring
of the inner Cartesian theatre" and it becomes a tougher call to rally round.

The experience is the same (jolly pleasant) but the supporting
beliefs become unnecessary and then *boy* does it get hard to
justify yogic flying if you stop believing you're defeating one
of the fundamental forces of nature.

> Whether or not Yogic Flying, as practiced by TM-Sidhas or by anyone else for
> that matter, ever leads to real "floating around the room," is immaterial:

Not if you are going to claim that our whole current understanding
of the physical universe is going to have to be rewritten it isn't.