> > ---  "salyavin808" <fintlewoodlewix@> wrote:
> >
> > > I must say the idea that conscious phenomena are physically
> > > unexplainable is jumping the gun a bit, hope the whole thing
> > > doesn't rest on that as consciousness research is only
> > > in it's infancy and while there are mysteries the research
> > > that has been done is fascinating in showing how even
> > > individual neurons can be mapped creating whole reaction
> > > systems in the brain, influencing memory and desire and the
> > > consequent action we choose to take. As I always say, let
> > > the evidence speak for itself, and to do that we need to be
> > > sure we have it all in before jumping to conclusions. Bit
> > > early to say things we don't understand are impossible.
> > >

> ---  "PaliGap" <compost1uk@> wrote:
> >
> > We're both at an equal disadvantage, not having read the book.
> > But, like you, having scanned some reviews, one starts to
> > 'take a view'. But I think you should take heed of your
> > initial reaction - "He (Nagel) is an atheist poseur". Surely
> > you would agree now that that was way, way off target?

---  "salyavin808" <fintlewoodlewix@...> wrote:

> No. And I didn't say poseur either, as soon as the idea of
> intelligent design pops up you know someone is taking the piss
> as there aren't any irredcible structures in nature and there
> are many theories about how mind is fundamental/inevitable/
> a consequence of/the reason for the universe and at present they
> are all things you can choose to believe or not. They all point
> to some sort of "special place" for us which sounds suspicious
> to me.

Salyavin, please note that 'impersonal intelligence' doesn't
contradict Darwin's evolution.  In fact, it auguments
evolution theory and makes it more apparent.

This gives the ID people a real problem.  They have no
choice but to bring up 'personalised intelligence' which
turns their theories to muck.

If Science can explain 'false memories,' 'imaginations',
'hallucinations', 'delusions, 'illusions' etc, maybe it can
explain consciousness some day.