--- In FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com, "Jason" <jedi_spock@...> wrote:

> Salyavin, research in the past 20 years does indicate that
> the "first person ontology" is not always a reliable and
> accurate indicator of reality.
>
> It has to be corroborated with some objective scientific
> data.
>
> Alteration of mental states and states of consciousness with
> drugs, hallucinations, imaginations, delusions, dreams, none
> of which actually reflect reality.

As far as I can tell, the only people who believe
that anyone's subjective view of reality reflects
any kind of objective reality are religious fanatics,
narcissists, and madmen.

The one thing I cannot forgive Maharishi or any of
the "holy men" of history for is convincing millions
of people that their "inner experience" constitutes
not only an accurate view of existence, but the
"highest" view. That's a terrible disservice that
has been responsible for most of the wars and atroc-
ities in history.

What, after all, is the difference between Son Of Sam
hearing voices telling him to murder people and the
Dominican founders of the Inquisition claiming the
same thing for their genocides? What is the difference
between someone in an ashram having an "inner vision"
of dancing gods and goddesses and a madman in an
asylum experiencing the same thing, but with different
dancers?

In my view, *neither* one's subjective view *nor* the
so-called objective view of science (which is anything
but) constitutes an accurate view of "reality," if such
a concept even exists. These days I spend as much of
my time reviewing scientific studies as I do tech writing,
and the experience has left me with as a strong a distrust
of "science" and the "scientific method" as I have a
distrust of inner "seeing" or "spiritual insight" or
the "wisdom of the ages" passed along in supposedly
holy books.

The number of studies that cherry-pick data, perform
self-serving selection bias when choosing subjects, or
come to spurious conclusions based on "evidence" that
isn't is simply astounding. And these are just the
studies that get published. They represent another form
of "cherry-picking," especially in drug trials, because
the drug companies who pay for the studies reserve the
right to keep the researchers from submitting their
studies for publication if they don't show favorable
results for their drugs. So, for example, for every
favorable study of any new psychoactive drug (anti-
depressants, mood elevators, etc.), there are on the
average ten studies of the same drug, paid for by the
same drug company, that the drug company kept from
being published because it contradicted the favorable
review they allowed to be published. It's a major
scandal in the pharmaceutical industry right now.

Just this week I was asked to write up a study on the
health benefits of an "alkaline diet." I read the study,
which was in fact a "review" of other studies, noticed
how obviously cherry-picked the studies being reviewed
were, and then read up on the "researchers." All of them
are doctors or health-care quacks who make their living
promoting not only the benefits of an alkaline diet, but
a range of products to be sold to those conned into
following it. I then looked up some of the research that
they chose NOT to review, and found that there was about
ten times the research indicating that there were NO
health benefits to an alkaline diet. It was as clear a
case of "starting with a conclusion and picking data
that seems to support that conclusion" as I've ever seen,
so I turned down the gig. The people who were offering
to pay me to write up the study tried to double and then
triple the amount of money they were willing to pay me,
and simply couldn't understand why I was turning it down.
I looked into the publication they wrote, and sure 'nuff
they make *their* money by promoting products for
"alkaline diet" junkies, too.

So don't talk to me about the objective nature of science.
It's as subjective and as prone to distortion, bias, and
greed as anything coming out of the mouths of so-called
spiritual or New Age types.

If it provides any sense of "balance" on this Wussy
Wednesday :-), I can say that from my experience drug
studies are FAR more biased and inaccurate than even
TM studies. Both are in most cases nothing more than
drawing bulls-eyes around arrows, but in the case of
the drug studies there is more money on the line.