 From: turquoiseb <no_re...@yahoogroups.com>
To: FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com
Sent: Wednesday, October 31, 2012 9:57 AM
Subject: [FairfieldLife] Re: TM Rumors

--- In FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com, "mjackson74" <mjackson74@...> wrote:

> As I lay in bed this morning meditating, rather than return
> to the mantra, I was thinking of the oft repeated admonition
> by MANY TM teachers that one should not meditate while lying
> down in bed. None of the teachers ever gave a specific reason
> other than "you might fall asleep." The implication was always
> that there were some mighty good reasons not to do so, but no
> specifics given, except for one initiator who said that you
> release so much stress while you sleep that if you meditate
> even sitting up in the bed you sleep in, you would re-absorb
> the stress.

One has to believe that the TM teacher who said this made
it up; I certainly never heard anything of the sort from
Maharishi. What he did say, back in the early days (1967-8)
before he went out of his way to distance himself from any
"Indian" or "yogic" language and transliterated TM jargon
into "pseudo-scientific-ese" was that if you're lying down
"the energy released by meditation can't rise properly."
When asked directly whether the "energy" he referred to
was "kundalini," he said "Yes."

As you point out, any rational reason for this pronouncement
was offered in later years; the very fact that it had been
suggested by Maharishi or by one of his TM teachers should
have been "enough."

One wonders, given Maharishi's early pronouncements on the
subject, what one is to make of *his* posture during the
last years of his life. Several reports by people doing
the filming have confirmed that almost all of the videos
he made during that period, either for the public or to
stay in touch with the Rajas, were made while he was
reclining in bed. The cameras were mounted on a platform
above his bed, and the pillows and backgrounds were
rearranged to give the impression that he was seated,
not reclining.