--- In FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com, "Rick Archer" <rick@...> wrote:

> http://www.dailymail.co.uk/health/article-2225634/Is-worlds-happiest-man-Brain-scans-reveal-French-monk-abnormally-large-capacity-joy-meditation.html

I've actually seen Matthieu Ricard do his thing, while
translating for the Dalai Lama or other Tibetan teachers,
and have always wondered how much of his "brain plasticity"
is the result of how "simultaneous translation" is done
in that context.

Translating for a Tibetan Buddhist teacher is *NOT* the
way you see it done at the UN. Instead of translating
phrase by phrase, the translator sits quietly beside
the teacher, listening but taking no notes, and allowing
the teacher to speak as long as he wants. Then, when the
teacher pauses, the translator relates what the teacher
said, in a different language.

The teacher could have been talking for two minutes or
twelve, but the translators seem to always (according
to people I know who are bilingual in Tibetan and English)
spot-on, and perfect. Nothing left out, nothing added,
and nothing mistranslated. Being chosen to be the trans-
lator for a Tibetan teacher is considered a teaching
in itself, developing the ability to DO THIS.

I strongly suspect that this has a great deal to do with
the differences one sees in scans of his brain.