--- In FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com, laughinggull108 <no_reply@...> wrote:

> Couldn't agree more Barry. I'm a huge fan of both artists.
> Enjoy this one as my contribution to the Harmony that is
> Wednesday on FFL:
>
> http://youtu.be/_xX5XY49dSU

Lovely song, and lovely tribute to her mentor and
discoverer. Emmylou's talent, as commented on by so
many other artists she's worked with over the years,
such as Mark Knopfler, is that she's an "intuitive
harmonist." She doesn't need sheet music or a pre-
agreement about what type of harmony she's going to
add to a song, she just picks up the melody after
the first verse (even if she's never heard it before)
and adds the perfect harmony part.

A number of musicians have this ability, including
David Crosby and Graham Nash and, supposedly, Art
Garfunkel, not to mention a number of Country stars.
I tend to respect this *spontaneous* ability to add
just the right harmony part more than I do the
ability to sit down and chart out the harmonies
in sheet music and then reproduce them vocally.
Maybe it's a facet of that area of the brain that
"lights up" when artists are improvising that I
posted some research about earlier. You can "feel"
it through the music.

Gram was a hard-living dude whose lifestyle took
him out far too early. But his influence on pop
music was profound. He introduced the Byrds to his
brand of "high mountain harmonies," and then went
on to found the seminal country-rock band The Flying
Burrito Brothers, whose influence is still being felt.
When he met Emmylou in a club and heard her voice, he
knew immediately that he'd found his muse.

I once owned an album -- very rare -- that Emmylou
put out on an obscure label before she ever met Gram,
and became famous in her own right. It was *terrible*.
What had happened was that some lame studio exec had
found her and tried to turn her into a Joni Mitchell
clone. <insert Ahnold's voice from "Predator" here>
"Bahd idea."

If you love her voice, and harmony, if you don't know
her work with Mark Knopfler, or the two "Trio" albums
she did in conjunction with Dolly Parton and Linda
Ronstadt, you should. There are some magical moments
in all of them. Here are a couple from these pairings:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WFdxvi2rlTw

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j_FLLz4UN2Q