--- In FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com, "curtisdeltablues" <curtisdeltablues@...>
wrote:

> --- In FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com, "Robin Carlsen" <maskedzebra@> wrote:
> >

> > --- In FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com, "raunchydog" <raunchydog@> wrote:
> > >

> ME: I already responded to Dr Dumb Ass's snipped comments.  I will accept
> Raunchy's as a writing prompt.
>
> RD:
> > >
> > > I like what you say here, Doc.  Just to guild your lily a little, I'd say
> > > that irreverence is a performance art of disaffected seekers.  They
> > > indulge in tipping sacred cows hoping people will react in horror.
>
> ME: Let me stop you there.  Can you name a single person who could be
> expected to react in horror from a satiric piece on Christianity here?  Name
> one pearl-clutcher, to use you apt image. A single person whose
> identification with the ideas contained in the myths of Christianity, is so
> complete that anything I wrote could be expected to react in the way your are
> trying to project here.  One.
>
> I argue that mine is exactly the opposite motivation than the one you propose
> here.  I wrote it for people who share my sense of humor, I am an
> entertainer.  I would never post it on a board of Christians because I do not
> have the motivation you ascribe to me. And at this point if anyone is
> offended by my perspective on Maharishi, after years of full disclosure of my
> POV, shame on them for reading it.  They are going way out of their way for
> their offended buzz.
>
> An example of why I wrote it was Emily's response.  That made me very happy
> and fulfilled my intentions for posting it.
>
> RD:
> It's rather juvenile but they do it just to show how hip, they are and how
> hip you're not because they think you haven't rejected the beliefs that they
> have.
>
> ME: Do you believe that Jesus died for your sins and that maintaining this
> believe will somehow alter your disposition in the afterlife?  Can you name
> one person who has that belief here that I could impose my hipness on by
> making a satire about Christianity?  Since we all dissected Judith's book in
> detail here I could not reasonably expect my mention of the reality of
> Maharishi's hidden life would do more than elicit a ho hum from this jaded
> crew.  You are imagining something to shame me for that doesn't even make
> sense.  Name one belief concerning the Jesus myth that I have rejected and
> you have not.  The unique divinity of Christ? His role as your personal
> savior through the mechanism of belief? His role as the fulfillment of the
> prophesies of the Old Testament?  That he was required by God to suffer for
> our sins?  You have to dismiss all the details of Christian theology to get
> to something we might disagree on, perhaps your conjectures about his state
> of mind.  Maybe you think he was an enlightened guy and I don't.  But we
> agree on a hundred things about the story to find the one we do not agree on.
>
> RD:

> [...]

Well, you have the right credentials all the way down too, Curtis.

I liked all of what you said here. And I am utterly convinced.

I need to do more work on myself to catch how I thought I was so right (when I
judged raunchy's post) only to then realize just as intensely, how wrong I was
after reading this.

Life is a a pretty goddam subtle thing, ain't it, Curtis?

I don't know what to believe now.

But this was fun fun fun reading this.

Don't expect me to be smart enough to have anything to say--in raunchy's
defense--or my own.

You are a great guy, Curtis. Let's leave it at that.

I have to admit one thing: your honesty goes deeper than anything I have ever
encountered--almost. And that honesty is the most profound quality of this post.

Let's just love one another. I hope raunchy can see through her pride (and
bigotry) to admit you have completely overpowered her here. I think you have,
anyhow.

If I took you seriously, Curtis, I would be an idiot.

But I do. I do. I like being an idiot. Keeps me just smart enough around here.

But I ain't getting in that sandbox with you. No matter how many of your dinky
toys you give me. I like your electric train best of all. You have not seen
Skuffy my Tugboat: I make him go fast in the bathtub.

No, around you, Curtis, the sense of truth makes me into a bullshitter. That
way I will stay true to myself.

I know one thing, Curtis: We are in for a helluva party one day. I promise you
this.

Just make sure you strangle that blue rabbit's neck.