--- In FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com, anonymousff <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> But Einstein's ideas evolved out of the very science that later
> embraced them and much later found evidence for them.
>
> The SV mythology does not arise from such an evolution. Scientists
> do not necessarily want to take any old pie in the sky explanation
> for how things work and test it rigorously.

By that standard, Science should have rejected August Kekule's
discovery of the benzene molecule -- made of six atoms of carbon
chained together to form a ring, plus six atoms of hydrogen, one per
carbon. He "discovered' it in a dream -- of a snake biting its tail.
Did the scientific community exclaim "My God!!! We can't accept that
hypothesis, no matter how well it explains observed phenomenon. It
CAME from a dream!!!. OMG. A dream. Science cannot be based on
dreams!!!!!"

In practice, Science doesn't give a snake's ass about where a good
hypothesis came from, as long as it bears fruit.

A lot of good science comes from analogies. Analogies don't prove
anything, by themselves, but they can be a ferile ground for
brainstorming and hypothesis generation. Analogies are "soft" not hard
science.

And actually a lot of Enisteins work  did not come from labored
pondering of existing scientific equations. A major source of his
insights came from pondering the ramifications of "thought
experiemnts". Such as, "what will happen if I shine a flashlight while
standing on top of a train going 90% the speed of light?" -- more
specifically, what will be the speed of that flashlight? Or the twins
paradox -- how will twins "differ in age" if one travels near the
speed of light and returns to earth. It was the paradoxes found in
these thought experiements that forced Einstein to think of deeper
explanations. He didn't come upon Relativity by simply tinkering with
 Newton's equations.