Steve,

I enjoyed your story; I was reminded of the schism that
developed between Jung and Freud where a similar phenomenon played a part. As
you may know, early in their relationship, Freud saw Jung as his heir apparent,
but could not accept Jung's theories on the collective unconscious.

In Jung's biography "Memoires, Dreams, and Reflections"
and the film " A Dangerous Method", there are references to an
incident in Freud's study, during an argument they were having about whether
consciousness existed beyond the physical plane, when a loud shot came from
Freud's bookcase as if the bookcase was about to split in two.  Jung looked at
Freud as if to say:
"you see", and not missing a beat Freud said it was
a completely natural phenomenon for wood to do that.

I know intellectually Freud was right; when I was in the
timber business I shipped kiln-dried wood from Oregon to Jeddah via Panama, and
the fluctuation of the moist (ure) content (moving from temperate to tropic to
desert climates) could cause some fairly severe checking and cracks in the wood;
that said, Jung's theories, and his insights, explain more to me about the
inner life I've experienced, in different waking, dreaming, meditative, and
psychedelic
states, than Freud’s more scientific explanation does. I say that as an
agnostic.

http://adangerousmethod-themovie.com/