> Yeah too many posts last week and I had to have my 18 year old cat put to
> sleep - I was very attached to her - so I been kinda quiet since then.

Steve wrote: "Well, my wife just called. Our black and white long hair kitty,
Buttons, has cancer is going to have to be put down. The daughter just went
upstairs crying. I'll likely start crying as soon as I see my wife. We had
Buttons for about 15 years."

Dear Michael & Steve,

Please accept my sincerest condolences on the loss of a family member. I'm
gently weeping as I write this because I feel your loss. I'm an animal lover
also...cats are my choice...and have been through losses throughout the years,
however not having to have a loved one euthanized as yet. The first cat I ever
owned (acquired by me and my ex...I kept the cat after the divorce) died while
I was away for my father's funeral. The caretakers left me a note to call them
as soon as I got back to my home, and I still had plenty of leftover tears to
shed. I lost another one when he just didn't show back up at the end of a day
out exploring...his name was Scamp because that's exactly what he was. And I
found out about my third loss when I checked in with my caretaker while at MERU
in Vlodrop who broke the news to me. I cried for the first and third, and spent
many hours looking for the second before finally giving up. Now I have four
under my care, the oldest being probably between 10-11 years old (I adopted her
when she showed up at my doorstep pregnant).

If I ever *do* have to make the decision to have one euthanized I suppose I'll
react as both of you have reacted with discomfort, tears, self-doubt, etc. but
I hope that I handle it with the love and grace that both of you have shown.
And I am earmarking the responses from others here on FFL to read again because
I know that they will bring me the same comfort that they must have brought to
both of you. The best to you and your families, and kudos to everyone else.

<snip>