Just a reminder, cuz I don't want your enthusiasm for
the sport of TMO-bashing to land you on the Silent
Bench for a week.  :-)

--- In FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com, "mjackson74" <mjackson74@...> wrote:

> Are you kidding? The schism has already taken place - there
> are former TM teachers all over the place who either teach
> their own brand of meditation or teach TM without the
> Movement and its "re-certification" which in my opinion
> was one of the sleazier moves M ever made - making tried
> and true teachers pay to get re-certified. I mean, Jerry
> Jarvis needs to get re-certified? March-y must-a needed
> to get one of his nephews a new gold Bently for his birthday.

While there was obviously a financial motive -- MMY
could no longer charge for new "advanced" courses for
TMers or TM Teachers because frankly no one was inter-
ested in them -- I don't think that was the primary
motive behind TM teacher "recertification."

>From my point of view, it was more about "reindoctrination."
As I remember it, the "recert" idea came up during a period
in which MMY was trying to persuade large numbers of TM
teachers to commit to teaching full-time, using the promise
of a "lifetime salary" to entice them to do so. They were
to open "Centers of the Age of Enlightenment" and teach
courses there full-time, all of this supposedly paying for
itself through course fees.

The "recert" program, seen from the outside through my
admittedly jaded eyes, was about making sure that anyone
stupid enough to go for this was teaching 100%, pure,
no-deviation-allowed TM Dogma *as it was defined at that
minute*. All of the lectures had to be using the latest
buzzwords and hype-language, and all of the many products
(like A-V and S-V and yagyas) had to be sold equally.
None of this "I only teach basic TM" stuff.

The entire project was doomed from the start, as anyone
with one foot still on the ground could have told them,
because THERE WAS NO MARKET FOR WHAT THEY WERE SELLING.
Almost no one was willing to pay the (then) $3000-a-pop
asking price to learn vanilla TM, much less the $15,000
additional cost for the TM-Sidhis ($3K each for four
mandatory "advanced techniques," and then an estimated
$3K for the sidhi course). This attempt to get people to
work full-time for a supposedly guaranteed salary was
made during a period in which the number of initiations
per month in the entire U.S. rarely cracked three figures.

And for obvious reasons. They had not only priced them-
selves out of the "introduction to meditation" market,
they had bad-PRed themselves out of it, by making TM
appear to be the *least hip choice available* to anyone
wanting to learn to meditate.

But as you point out, the whole "recert" idea was an
obvious slap in the face of those who had dedicated
years of their lives to teaching TM and, at the very
least, paying lip service to the idea and the ideals
of TM. Many TM teachers didn't teach very much any
more, but they occasionally did if someone asked to
learn. They even sent the money to the TMO, as they
were supposed to. But now they were told that they
couldn't even do that.

The reaction was similar to Wayne and Garth's: "We're
not worthy...we're not worthy." And they *weren't*.
They weren't willing to pay *more than they had orig-
inally paid for Teacher Training in the first place*
to "re-learn" what they already knew how to do, just
to get "certified" by *people they did not respect*.
Most TM teachers just laughed it off and stopped giving
even lip service to Maharishi and TM at that point.

But as policy, I honestly think it was much more about
CONTROL than it was money. Maharishi was trying to
create a class of mindless "We'll do whatever you tell
us to do, Maharishi" dweebs among TM teachers with no
money, just as he had managed to do among the rich ones
by offering them robes and crowns and a title for a
million bucks a pop. More than the money, he wanted the
LOYALTY of the mindless follower, someone who is *so*
invested in the dogma as to be willing to be re-taught
everything he or she had ever learned, and PAY FOR IT,
as if they were being offered a privilege.

"Recertification" was in a very real sense the Poor TM
Teacher's counterpart to what the Rich TM Teachers were
doing at the end -- building enormous phalluses to MMY's
memory and calling them Maharishi Towers of Invincibility.
If you couldn't pony up the bucks for that -- and thus
be *truly* worthy of Maharishi's attention -- you could
at least pay a few thousand bucks to be "recertified,"
and thus be allowed to still call yourself a TM teacher.

Many decided that "honor" simply wasn't worth the money.