> --- In FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com, anonymousff <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
> wrote:
> > --- In FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com, "authfriend" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
> > > But that's exactly what this myth does: it provides
> > > a basis for quantification.  From it we can construct
> > > testable hypotheses, e.g., people who live in homes
> > > with south-facing entrances will die at younger ages
> > > than those in homes with entrances facing in other
> > > directions.
> >
> > Yes but...
> >
> > You can do research that shows a correlation between factors, and
> even
> > gives an indication of which factors may be causal. This is
> important
> > preliminary research. But, when faced with overwhelming
opposition
> > your ideas due to their not fitting with mainstream paradigms,
you
> > need to follow up this research with studies that demonstrate the
> > actual causal mechanisms for the results being observed.
>
> I'm not sure you can actually *demonstrate* causal
> mechanisms.  Rather, you make causal *assumptions*
> to a greater or lesser confidence level, no?

Its all mythical. There's no such thing as scientific "explanation"
in the logical/legal sense of the word.

Scientists talk about "underlying mechanisms" because its convenient
and makes it easier to deal with things, but just as someone who is
fully enlightened is supposed to perceive the world without
intellectual analysis getting inthe way, scientific reality is
assumed to be unknowable. The best you can hope for is that your
stories (theories) about the world have some relationship to reality.
The working assumption is merely that your predictions won't prove
incorrect. THEN you're supposed to try to knock holes in your own
assumption.