Carol yes, I'm smiling here because I remember reading Anatomy of An Illness
back in the 80s.  Wonderful story and if memory serves, it also  appeared as an
article in the Journal of the AMA, the very first time they published an
article not written by a doctor!  Pretty groundbreaking stuff in any case.
Hmmm, it may have been the New England Journal of Medicine.  Should google but
am rushing.  Sorry!

Funnily enough I just discovered humorous books as the best to read during an
airplane flight.  Now that I'm back in Iowa, I'm diving into the Humor section
of the public library.  Just finished a fabulous book by Ellen DeGeneres.  I
love how she is so funny while still being kind.

Both of my parents are relatively young having been young when I was born.  My
Dad will be 85 at the end of February and my Mom, who's a little open to
alternative health care, just turned 82 at the end of Nov.  They're both still
getting around on their own and have their mental faculties intact as well.
But they both had added health challenges last year and my younger sister's arm
situation appeared out of the blue.  I recently sent her an article about
energy medicine for pain.  She replied with a question so that's a good sign (-:
Thanks for your comments.

Jason, thanks for the info about stem cell work, etc.  As well as being open to
alternative health care, my youngest sister has access to really good
allopathic health care.  So I'm sure she'll avail herself of the best
treatments out there.