"If you fix the jobs problem you fix the deficit problem. The reverse is not
true. If you "fix" the deficit you kill jobs."
http://www.eschatonblog.com/2013/01/f-deficit.html

Obama got elected because Romney didn't care if people ate grass by the side of
the road. It was the GOP's decision to focus on reducing the deficit, as
opposed to fixing unemployment. Republicans only care about the debt when a
Democrat is in power and then they use it as an excuse to cut the social safety
net. When Dubya was in office he cut taxes for the rich and spent billions on a
bloody war in Iraq.  Republicans didn't care about the debt during Dubya's
presidency. Or Poppy's. Or Reagan's. And it was always pretty clear that Romney
didn't care about the deficit except insofar as he could use it as an excuse to
destroy entitlements.

Krugman: Campaign against this austerity obsession...when somebody says, `Well,
we need to slash here, we need to slash there.' That's actually going to hurt
the economy...This is the same kind of animal that we confronted in the '30s.
This is depression economics. And the nature of the solution is not really very
different now from what it was then...Depression economics is when the normal
things you do to boost the economy, have the Federal Reserve cut interest rates
a little bit, are no longer available or effective. It's a situation where the
normal rules of what you– of economic policy, have to be put on hold, and you
really need to do extraordinary stuff."
http://billmoyers.com/segment/paul-krugman-on-recessions-and-recovery/