<snip> > Gurus do not ask for anything. They are givers and take
only a
> > devotees sins.
>
> I was with ya up to the last sentence.
>
> I'm asking because I'm always curious when I run into
> someone who believes that a guru can "take a devotee's
> sin" or somehow mitigate his karmas.
>
> What do you think is the *mechanism* by which this is
> accomplished?
>
> As I understand karma, I don't see it as possible.  I
> certainly believe it's possible that a teacher can
> speed up the student's ability to work through and
> process his own karma, but to "resolve" it or make
> it "go away?"  Can't see how that could work.
>
> So I'm curious, since you seem to believe in your
> own last line above, how you envision this happening,
> how you think it "works."  Thanks in advance.
>
> Anyone else who has a theory can chime in, too, if
> they'd like.
>
> Unc

OK, here's my chime- what I have experienced is that karma has two
elements, the karma of thought and the karma of action, though it is
the karma of thought which is most powerful.

What I mean is, it is the repetitions of our thoughts which manifest
results, either presenting a situation which we may then act upon,
or manifesting a reality of which we are then a part of, and may act
within. This occurs whether we want it to or not, because it is the
law of cause and effect; karma.

The awareness we have of our thoughts and thinking process
determines the karma that we live. If we perform an action and then
anticipate its result, either joyfully or fearfully, that is what
will come back to us. We constantly create and recreate our reality.

The function of a Guru in this process is twofold. One, the Guru's
presence can clear our mind, purify it, so that we are more aware of
the future effects we are thinking up for ourselves, and two, the
presence of the Guru purifies our mind so that we naturally create
more pleasing karma for ourselves vs. living the effects of impure
thoughts.

An alternative to being at the effect of personal karma is to stop
thinking. By this, I mean becoming established in that reality which
is beyond thinking. By doing this, we leave it to Brahman to deliver
our karma to us. We no longer create it, and instead always
effortlessly enjoy good karma. I experience this, though I am not
sure of the mechanics of it. It just works- must have something to
do with enjoying the immense bliss of the Creator after subsuming
ourselves to Him/Her.