I remember being fascinated watching a documentary on the Rouge Plant,
described by Wikipedia as the "largest integrated factory in the world".
They even raised their own sheep which they then sheared for wool for
upholstery or carpeting.

--- In FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com, "raunchydog" wrote:

> --- In FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com, "Ann" wrote:
> >

> > --- In FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com, doctordumbass@ wrote:
> > >
> > > Maybe she felt suffocated by you?? Hey, its possible - I've lived
plenty of places with dirty air, including daily exposure to DDT when
younger, and suffered no ill health as a result - used to enjoy long
distance running after that. Just sayin'

> > Big tanker trucks in my neighborhood outside of Chicago used to roll
through the quiet suburban streets in the evenings back in the early
'60's fogging the streets with plumes of DDT and our favorite pastime as
children was to follow these trucks pedaling our bikes like mad playing
in the clouds of pesticide. They were rolling banks of poisonous fog
that looked so cool to us.

> I grew up in Detroit a few miles from the Ford Rouge Plant and coke
ovens on Zug Island. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Zug_Island The sky was
a dingy orange by the plant and a bright orange when the coke ovens lit
the sky at night. I've never had any discernible ill effect on my health
from living in this environment and I'm still healthy. Apparently,
whether or not one's body reacts adversely to pollution has to do with
gene silencing.

> "Gene silencing is a general term describing epigenetic processes of
gene regulation. The term gene silencing is generally used to describe
the "switching off" of a gene by a mechanism other than genetic
modification. That is, a gene which would be expressed ("turned on")
under normal circumstances is switched off by machinery in the cell.
Gene silencing occurs when RNA is unable to make a protein during
translation." Wikipedia

And, sadly,
Enacted of the
Paris