--- In FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com, "authfriend"  wrote:

> --- In FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com, "Ann"  wrote:
> >
> > --- In FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com, Share Long  wrote:
> > >
> > > Thanks for posting this laughinggull.  Carol and Emily,
> > > this is a good overview of the whole TM world, with 2
> > > comments:  TM is absolutely NOT about repeating a mantra;
> > > and yogic flying does not involve TRYING to fly or bounce.
> >
> > Part of it is. The mantra and repetition have to begin the
> > process
>
> Actually not, not if "repetition" means more than one
> iteration of the mantra. You could conceivably think it
> *once* and immediately transcend, even go through the
> whole mantra-transcend-thoughts cycle multiple times
> during a meditation without ever thinking the mantra
> twice in a row.
>
> Share, the words "repeat" and "repetition" *are* used in
> several places in the checking notes. In most cases,
> repetition of the mantra does occur, but it's correct to
> say TM is not *about* repetition. Subtle but crucial
> distinction.
>
> (Caveat: I am not a TM teacher. I took checker training,
> but I never got around to being certified. If I've gotten
> anything wrong, corrections from teachers are welcome.)
>
> > and hopping around involves energy and effort whether you
> > realize this or not. On my siddhis course my friend and I
> > were the last to hop and the instructor sat with us until
> > we did so. Having languished for days watching my friends
> > in my pod plop around on foam and make strange noises  my
> > friend and I finally looked at each other and let 'er rip.
> > We had to try or we weren't going to "graduate" from that
> > summer course. Finally we gave in and joined the crowd. It
> > was never that effortless to bounce and I certainly never
> > flew. So at least on my siddhis course we had to do whatever
> > it took to move off our butts and it involved trying or at
> > least exerting an intention. Maybe it is all in the semantics.
>
> The sutras *are* intentions, according to Maharishi.
>
> FWIW, on my flying block there were several women who
> never hopped, and they "graduated" with the rest of us.
> They weren't bullied into faking it (as it sounds like
> you may have been).

I can report the same (but 'men').

> They weren't happy about not
> hopping, but the Sidhis administrator (Georgina Wilson)
> told them not to worry about it, they would still get
> the benefits of the practice. "Trying" to hop was most
> definitely a no-no.

Definitely.

> Certainly hopping involves muscular effort (although the
> extent to which one is aware of that varies); the question
> is how the signal to contract is sent to the muscles.
>
> For me, it's involuntary--it would take effort *not* to
> hop.

Indeed. It's probably "off the program" but I would often
try forcibly 'not to hop'. But hop I did.

> It's like a yawn or a sneeze or the knee-jerk reflex.
> The signal to the muscles originates somewhere other than
> it would if I hopped without using the sutra.
>
> I remember when I first started to hop, after a couple
> days. I had found myself bouncing--involuntarily--without
> getting off the foam. After awhile, I let go of something
> somehow mentally, and then I immediately began to hop. "Let
> 'er rip" describes it, but I don't know whether that's the
> same as what you experienced. It's as if I had not been
> letting the sutra do its job, rather than that I had
> started voluntarily to push myself up off the foam.
>
> Experience does vary from individual to individual, and
> it's impossible to know what it's like for anybody else.

I don't think I am a 'TB'. On the other hand the facts is the
facts. I find it hard to 'explain away'. Believe me - I've
tried (though coward-like I remain agnostic).