jim_flanegin wrote:
> And I am not politically naive, I am just tired of the
> stonewalling, the excuses, and the appalling job Bush is doing
> as President.

All right Jim, let's compare President Bush's response with the
response of the New Orleans police:

First, you need to make critical infrastructure survivable. One of
the key failures was the collapse of the New Orleans Police
Department's radio system. Apparently the police department's
citywide 800 MHz radio system functioned well during and immediately
after the hurricane hit New Orleans, but since then natural gas
service to the prime downtown transmitter site was disrupted and the
generator was out. Transmitter sites for the police radio
system "are also underwater with the rising water and are now
disabled.

Owners of the sites that housed police radio transmitters would not
allow installation of liquefied petroleum gas tanks as a backup to
piped gas, meaning generators did not have any fuel when the main
lines were cut, Tusa said.

Radio repair technicians attempting to enter the city were turned
away by the state police, even though they had letters from the city
police authorizing their access.

This is absurd, and I'm pretty sure it's the major factor leading to
the disintegration of the New Orleans Police Department. That sort
of gear should be survivable -- and there should also be a backup
plan for how to get messages back and forth if the radios go out
anyway: Messengers, broadcasts on commercial radio, etc. and, there
should be a separate post-disaster communications plan for
survivors, too -- so that they can locate relatives and let people
know they're alive.

Other crucial infrastructure should be hardened as much as possible,
too. There's only so much you should do, but disaster survivability
should be considered at every stage of design, procurement, and
construction.

> No joy in it, whatsoever.

So do you agree that the New Orleans police failed to protect the
survivors?