Outside of your personal opinions, your statements  about the TM
technique are not accurate.

M.Jack says:

TM is not a simple mental technique making use of meaningless sounds.
It is in fact a Hindu devotional practice of chanting (silently) the
names of Hindu goddesses.

In reply, here is a previous post discussing the differences between
meditation-mantra and devotional-japa.

************************************************************************\
*

Recently I have read here on FFL an argument professed by some former
TM'ers who stopped practicing because they claimed they were
deceived about the "meaning" of mantras.

Their fundamental claim is that a mantra is the name of a Hindu god. The
claim is that a mantra, by definition, encapsulates a method for
worshiping a Hindu god but that this fact is withheld from
practitioners. Within the domain of this argument, these claimants will
often quote some text from a Hindu Tantra. These are passages usually
assigning a particular deity to a particular mantra and sometimes even
assigning a set of deities to each of the Sanskrit letters composing the
written forms of the mantric sound. This textual assignment is sometimes
done haphazardly and occasionally is done in the Vedic format of
rishi-deva-chhanda.

Along with the quoted Tantric text is sometimes a statement by MMY,
declaring that a mantra is a "sound whose effect is known". This
argument quotes the TMO claim that a mantra is used in TM for the
beneficial effects it produces in causing the spontaneous refinement of
perception. This explanation is then paraded as an example of shameful
exploitation of Western ignorance of the "Hindu" foundation of TM and of
any other Indian meditation that does not confess itself as a form of
"Hindu devotionalism". This devotionalist criticism is further paraded
by pointing to various Indian swamis and cross-eyed yogis who make these
same claims and arguments themselves.

Some considerations about these claims:

SBS taught in India. MMY began teaching in India before coming to the
West. They both taught within the context of the Indian Hindu cultural
model. Although they taught in India, where there are many Muslims, they
did not present their teaching within a Muslim cultural model. Although
Buddhism is from India and many Indian consider Buddha one of their own,
neither SBS nor MMY taught within a Buddhist cultural model. Rather,
they taught within the cultural context of their listeners.

After coming to the West, MMY continued speaking and teaching within a
similar Indian cultural model - for a while. It was the teaching model
established by Vivekananda and Paramahansa Yogananda – partly
religious, partly philosophical and partly yogic. However the cultural
context of this form of teachings was the 19th and 20th century paradigm
of Western Modernity.

When MMY realized the limitations brought by this model and of religious
language here in the West he took a left turn. That divergence left some
of his teachers behind - Charlie Lutts being an example.

This is one reason that pointing to early religious language by MMY or
SBS is an inaccurate over-simplification.

As far as the "it is all a deceit" claimants, the two groups
that are the most antagonist and strident are the materialists and the
religionists. Materialists claim mantras are the mumbo formulas of
hindoo gods and that the concept of gods/god is a false idea propounded
by power brokers to enslave the masses. This is a truncated Marxist view
popular among the half-educated.

Contrary to this, the religionists claim that mantras are secret demonic
traps devised to enslave us to hindoo devils. This is the view of
true-believer adherents of the Abrahamic religions – Jews,
Christians and Muslims. This is not simply a fundamentalist diatribe
from TV evangelicals. This was the original view of Christians from the
second century C.E. forward and after Constantine's ascent to Roman
power was used as incinerating ideological propellant for killing
polytheists.

What is obvious is that both groups are unable to rationally consider
the facts because they are ideologues entrenched in a priori
conclusions.  One example of this is a clear demarcation about the
difference between yoga and religion. Materialists dismiss such an idea
because yoga historically emerged within in a Hindu cultural context.
Semitic monotheists condemn this idea for the same reason.

If we consider the role of yoga, it is apparent that most meditating
Westerners are functionally ignorant about the nature, range, depth and
complexity of yoga lineages - whether Vedic, Hindu, Buddhist or Jain.
Most of them do not know the difference between Vedic, Puranic and
Tantric lineages of practice. They also do not understand how these
three streams developed and then intertwined into Hindu temple rites.
They don't know vidhi from vedi.*

Even more surprising, most swamis and imported, so-called  "yogis" are
not Pandits, Indologists, or Sanskritists. Very few are formally
educated in the yoga traditions of the Indian subcontinent. Most are
only trained in asana, pranayam and japa.  A little bhakti here, a few
Upanishad citations there and "om tat sat" - I'm a guru.

Faced with this, most of us Westerners who meditate are at a
disadvantage when presented with claims that we are not educated to
conceptualize within an informed view.

So, to counter-point this misunderstanding, I am providing a short but
authoritative quotation from an impeccable yogic source about the
difference between mantra practice in both yogic and devotional sadhana
practice.

  Hari Dass Baba  (the upa-guru of Ram Dass)

Quotes on the difference between Mantra practice and Japa practice.

1.      Mantra is the repetition of sounds or words which have power due
to the vibration of the sound itself.

2.      Japa is the rhythmic repetition of a name of God.

  It (Japa) consists of automatic Pranayama, concentration and
meditation. The main idea in doing Japa is to make the mind thoughtless.
Then automatically body consciousness disappears. If your body
consciousness disappears, it means your sadhana is going well. The body
is the medium of sadhana and the body is the hindrance in sadhana. Japa
is a formal method of worshipping God. It should be done privately and
preferably with a mala, or rosary.

  Silence Speaks: from the chalkboard of Baba Hari Dass, 1977 (my
bolding).

*vidhi is a specific method of puja. Vedi is the altar used in yajna.

As an addendum: Western Buddhists are slightly more educated about the
various streams of Buddhism but on the other hand they read a lot. In
reality they don't know much about the differences in viewpoints or
sadhana practice between Theravada, Mahayana and Tantra. They know even
less about the differences in basic view between Zen, Tantra, Mahamudra
and Dzogchen.

--- In FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com, Michael Jackson <mjackson74@...>
wrote:

> So since they aren't posting my comment - here it is:
>

> I began TM in 1974 and enjoyed it enough to become a real TM
> fanatic and cheerleader. As the years went by, I left the TM Movement
due to
> the huge disconnect between the promises of TM and what it actually
delivered,
> especially the awful, arrogant deceitful behavior of even the low to
mid level
> managers of the TM organization, much less the leaders of the
Movement.

> Lynch is spearheading a very carefully orchestrated effort
> to sanitize the TM's image to a pre-1976 luster. 1976 was the year
their
> Maharishi announced the TM Sidhi program to the world. The TM Movement
can
> honestly be characterized as a decades long flow of dishonesty and
deceit,
> taking money under false pretenses and very unpleasant behavior on the
part of
> those who administrate the Movement.
>
> I had the pleasure of speaking at some length with someone
> who spent years as Maharishi's personal secretary and for all his
praise of the
> man, this person told me that it was clear that the leader of the TM
movement
> was totally focused on sex, money and personal power. What the Big M
created,
> his Movement perpetuates.
>
> TM is not a simple mental technique making use of
> meaningless sounds. It is in fact a Hindu devotional practice of
chanting
> (silently) the names of Hindu goddesses. And that is alright as long
as you are
> upfront about what you are doing. For my money and in my experience,
TM is one
> big scam. After more than 20 years I stopped doing TM and never looked
back.

> ________________________________

see if they have the guts to post it.

Meditation

> > David Lynch for The New York Times
> > David Lynch took a self-portrait at Idem Paris, a fine-art printing
studio, in December.
> > ÂÂ
> > Article at The New York Times here:

http://www.nytimes.com/2013/02/24/magazine/david-lynch-transcendental-me\