 From: turquoiseb <no_re...@yahoogroups.com>
To: FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com
Sent: Monday, February 25, 2013 2:35 AM
Subject: [FairfieldLife] Re: David Lynch Is Back

--- In FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com, Michael Jackson  wrote:

> he became a "legend" because a lot of people like sick twisted stuff

I disagree. David Lynch became famous because of film
critics who believe that if they can't understand a movie,
it's actually good.

This has been a problem with the film industry since the
beginning of movies, and contributed to the fleeting fame
of people like Jean Luc Godard (who was always merely
flashy, never brilliant).

Some people actually like David Lynch, and even I will
admit that he did a pretty good job with the real, four-
hour version of "Dune" and with "The Straight Story."
But IMO (and according to someone I used to know who
was his personal secretary) he's LAZY, and tends to
fall back on being flashy and weird rather than being
actually creative, because he knows that among a certain
contingent of critics, that'll get him good reviews.

It's the same phenomenon in my opinion as those who fall
for flash (or occult "pushing it out") and think it's
charisma. Lacking discrimination, they just glom onto
whatever flashes them out and grabs their attention, and
then *retroactively* try to make up "reasons" why it
grabbed their attention. The reasons are never real;
they're excuses for having no discrimination.

As for why Nabby likes him, I thought MJ (or Sal, whoever
said it) got it right. If there were a person on the street
selling little dolls made out of dogshit and someone told
Nabby that the person was a TMer, he'd call them an "artist." :-)