> --- In FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com, "Buck" <dhamiltony2k5@> wrote:
> >
> > Doc,
> > What a nice [first person] account.  It's quite charitable
> > and also reads like an invitation. Thanks Doc, this should
> > be dragged over to the current parallel FFL atheist thread
> > too where the atheistic sophists are splitting epistemological
> > hairs again. Last weekend I was over in Chicago and got a
> > tour of the FermiLab where incredibly high-minded research
> > continues to split particles down and down. A kind of a very
> > Large game in materialism. It is an amazing place and a temple
> > in its own atheistic right but for an evident general lack of
> > experience in what they are after.
> >
> > A brochure handed out at FermiLab has an explanation where the
> > first director of Fermi Lab was asked how the laboratory would
> > help defend the United States?  Ans: "It has nothing to do
> > directly with defending our country except to make it worth
> > defending."
> > http://www.fnal.gov/
> >
> > Thoreau, 'A life worth living'. 'Fairfield', is like the
> > ongoing basic research in spiritual practice even for the
> > enlightened in life.
>
> You may know that Enrico Fermi was an atheist, but did
> you know that Henry David Thoreau was, too? Here are a
> few more atheists you may have heard of:
>
> Douglas Adams, Woody Allen, Isaac Asimov, Dave Barry,
> Ingmar Bergman, Niels Bohr, Richard Branson, James
> Cameron, George Carlin, John Carpenter, Asia Carrera,
> Noam Chomsky, Jeremy Clarkson, Billy Connolly, Francis
> Crick, David Cronenberg, David Cross, Alan Cumming,
> Rodney Dangerfield, Richard Dawkins, Ani DiFranco,
> Albert Einstein, Harlan Ellison, Richard Feynman,
> Harvey Fierstein, Jodie Foster, Janeane Garofalo, Bill
> Gates, Bob Geldof, Ricky Gervais, Ira Glass, Robert
> Heinlein, Ernest Hemingway, Katharine Hepburn,
> Christopher Hitchens, Eddie Izzard, Penn Jillette,
> Billy Joel, Diane Keaton, Keira Knightley, John Landis,
> Hugh Laurie, Richard Leakey, Bruce Lee, Tom Lehrer,
> John Lennon, James Lipton, H.P. Lovecraft, Ernst Mach,
> Seth MacFarlane, Bill Maher, John Malkovich, Barry
> Manilow, Todd McFarlane, Sir Ian McKellen, Arthur
> Miller, Claude Monet, Julianne Moore, Rafael Nadal,
> Randy Newman, Mike Nichols, Jack Nicholson, Gary Numan,
> Bob Odenkirk, Patton Oswalt, Camille Paglia, Trey Parker,
> Paula Poundstone, Terry Pratchett, Robin Quivers, James
> Randi, Ron Reagan Jr., Rob Reiner, Keanu Reeves, Gene
> Roddenberry, Henry Rollins, Andy Rooney, Salman Rushdie,
> Adam Savage, Brian Sapient, Erwin Schrödinger, Bob Simon,
> Steven Soderbergh, Annika Sorenstam, George Soros,
> Howard Stern, Matt Stone, Julia Sweeney, Studs Terkel,
> Pat Tillman, Alan Turing, Eddie Vedder, Gore Vidal,
> Vincent van Gogh, Kurt Vonnegut Jr., Steven Weinberg,
> Joss Whedon, Ted Williams, and Steve Wozniak.
>
> Maybe their names are recognizable because they actually
> DID things rather than sitting around believing in or
> [...]
A list can always be made, of those with some oddity to them. It is like making
a list of all past members of Congress with wooden legs. Big deal.

These names appear significant on this list, because there are so *few* of
them. You are dealing with a severe minority here. I am not sure how pointing
that out helps your case.

PS My guess is that you suck at chess, too.