--- In FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com, navashok <no_reply@...> wrote:

> --- In FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com, "Ann" <awoelflebater@> wrote:
>
> > All I know is this:
> >
> > I am not a meditator by nature. I like to do things, run around, play, get
> > dirty, eat, be competitive at sports, read. The list goes on. What I
> > believe MMY was brilliant at was to appeal to others like me, those not
> > particularly spiritual or monkish by nature, not given to strolling off
> > into some hidden cave or ashram or to spend long hours in intense
> > contemplative or prolonged meditative states. I am just Jo Anybody, Amy
> > Average who wants to have a good time, not hurt anyone, live comfortably.
> >
> >  I also want to 'improve' myself, deepen myself, discover mysteries about
> > myself, others, the world. But I don't want to spend an inordinate amount
> > of time sitting on my butt, isolated with my eyes closed. And neither do
> > the majority of the population in the Western World and perhaps everywhere
> > else. And here is my point, MMY was a master at making a simple technique
> > available and easily practiced by people like myself. He opened up a world
> > of potential transcendence for a whole lot of people who would most likely
> > have spent 40 minutes a day watching TV or chatting with friends on the
> > phone instead. He created a technique that people believed would be
> > beneficial and doable.
> >
> > I meditated from the age of 14 until I was about 30 years old. I attended
> > and graduated from MIU. I had two sisters who were initiators. But my
> > engagement with the Movement basically ended in 1980 when I graduated. I
> > was spared the Rajas, the indignities of being on staff. I didn't invest
> > years and years of my life as an initiator or Governor. I don't have any
> > regrets or hold grudges with respect to my time doing TM and being at MIU.
> > We all took our own ride, trod our individual paths. But no one can deny,
> > at least, that Maharishi brought the concept and the practice of using a
> > mantra to transcend to a huge amount of 'ordinary' householders and I don't
> > think this has harmed the planet. At worst it accomplished nothing and at
> > best it gave many the opportunity to deepen their awareness and explore
> > something other than the ordinariness of everyday life.
> > >

> This is a very nice account Ann. A nice personal account as well, I always
> wanted to ask, if you actually ever did do TM, so thanks for it. Also I could
> wholeheartedly agree with your conclusion of what the contribution of
> Maharishi was.
>
> As you said it, it was to make meditation accessible to people who would not
> already feel a natural affinity to any of these topics, meditation,
> enlightenment, spirituality etc. like myself for example.

'Like myself' meaning, I'm the opposite of you. Well, I do run, I do sports and
am very active, but I have a natural inclination towards mediation. When I
started meditation, my grandma said: Oh he was always like this.

> But what I wonder, if meditation was so good, and if spreading meditation was
> such a good and important thing, then why don't you practice it anymore? What
> I mean to say is, that your natural temperament, your natural inclination
> finally one anyway. You didn't have the meditation that would really finally
> have convinced you. So, despite of the fact that you are actually making a
> good case for TM, your own example contradicts it.

The above should read:

"your natural temperament, your natural inclination finally WON anyway"