 From: seekliberation <seekliberat...@yahoo.com>
To: FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com
Sent: Wednesday, March 6, 2013 8:28 AM
Subject: [FairfieldLife] Re: Question for TM Cheerleaders

--- In FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com, turquoiseb  wrote:
>More to the point, if TM practitioners committed to
>Maharishi's Purusha or Mother Divine programs, and
>thus chose to effectively becomes monks or recluses,
>were they re-initiated using a more "appropriate"
>recluse mantra?

I wasn't on full-time Purusha, but I was on Prep Purusha while at MIU, and I
know people who were on Purusha.  No special Mantras given for either, and I
had friends on full time Purusha who were willing to tell me the truth.

>I *know* that some people like to imbue both the
>mantras themselves and the Woo Woo of "imparting"
>them with mystical, magical attributes, and it's
>their right to believe this if they want. My personal
>experience, and the experience of thousands of others
>I've talked to suggest that such beliefs are 1) pure
>superstition, and 2) almost always a form of self-
>importance -- "My mantra is better than your mantra
>because [...fill in the blank here...]."

I am no expert, but my opinion is that it's not so much the exact mantras that
are as important as the instruction that goes along with TM.  I don't mean to
place any 'mystical' value to TM, but I do know a lot of people who have tried
other meditations.  I'm convinced that some are experiencing the same thing and
some are not.  Moreover, after practicing the TMSP, I started noticing an
extremely blissful outburst of energy in my solar plexus area.  It's somewhat
rare, but it's like an involuntary jolt of energy.  I've tried to ask around
and find out what's going on, but no answers yet.  Bottom line, there's
something about TM/TMSP that's very effective for me.  However, I don't believe
that it's the 'only' thing out there capable of bringing about this experience.
 But it's all that was available to me for whatever karmic reason.

>My point is that a lot of these discussions are, from
>my point of view, falling prey to one of the most
>chronic TM fallacies. People repeat stuff they were
>TOLD -- by the people selling them the technique --
>as if it were not only true, but cosmically true,
>Gospel Truth. They consider these things Truth so
>strongly that they *assume* them, parrot them along
>without even *noticing* the assumption, and then base
>other, subsequent statements on them as if the Truth
>of the assumptions was a given. An example is the parroting in this >thread of
>"the TM mantras are for householders." How do you KNOW >this,those of you who
>have been repeating it so mindlessly?

>Simple, you "know" it only because it was TOLD to you,
>and you've bought what you were TOLD so effectively
>that for you it's become a kind of core belief, a
>baseline truth than *can*, and in fact *must* be
>assumed. But the only real truth in this equation
>is that you have no reason to believe this other than
>the fact that it was TOLD to you by the person selling
>you the technique you learned, and you just bought it
>at the time and now keep repeating it as if this
>phrase itself were some kind of holy mantra.

This almost reminds me of an argument I got into with a devoted TM Governer
(which he did not like to hear).  I explained how odd it is that we gave so
much faith that MMY is 1. Enlightened, 2. A Vedic Scholar (World's Foremost
according to Hagelin & Morris), and 3. Seems to be accepted as 'all-knowing'
regarding pretty much every subject that ever gets brought up.  I'm not saying
he's a dunce by any means.  But I have serious doubts and many, many reasons to
justify an argument that all 3 of those assumptions that many
meditators/siddhas/governers have spent decades revolving their lives around
are blatantly incorrect.

I went on to explain that I could demonstrate and teach people with no martial
arts experience whatsoever a few basic choke holds  and counter-attacks that
are extremely effective.  It would give students with no experience the idea
that I'm some sort of martial arts master.  But the reality is I can't even
hold my own against a weak professional fighter, in fact not even an olympic,
collegiate, or strong amateur.  But because they are so inexperienced, I would
look so awesome to them.  But the bottom line is, if those people really want
to become a great fighter, they should take a few of the moves I know and move
on with their training elsewhere.

I look at MMY & TM the same way.  Just because MMY brought TM here and we
experienced it doesn't mean it's better than everything else.  Nor does it mean
he's the 'only' one capable of bringing it here.  Perhaps he just surpassed the
apathy that many indians have, or perhaps it was just perfect timing (the 60's
really were the PERFECT time for it).  But here in America, we didn't really
have anything to compare to TM.  There was no competition, or at least if there
was, it was rather weak.

As I grew up and became more of a man in the last 2 decades, I really started
to see a lot of childish tendencies and obvious traits of weakness in the
behaviour and mannerisms of many long-term meditators/siddhas and especially
the higher-ups of the TMO.  And although I hate to disrespect MMY because I do
feel a lot of gratitude for TM, I really felt he had a serious attitude problem
in the later years of his life.  I simply can't stand to be in the presence of
people who feel they are 'owed' something.  And MMY seemed to function with the
attitude and expectation that America 'owed' him something for TM.  Right or
wrong, I've always believed in a quote I read on a bumpersticker once:

"Contrary to belief, nobody owes you anything"

seekliberation