http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b6TNCbXxVyY
<http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b6TNCbXxVyY>

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m9S-yXR9l1E
<http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m9S-yXR9l1E>

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5wV_REEdvxo&feature=youtu.be
<http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5wV_REEdvxo&feature=youtu.be>

While there is a clear difference between probabilistic and universal
generalizations, it's worth noting that reasoning with probabilities
is usually a deductive affair.
  It's not the principles of reasoning and or argument that are
different so much as the content of the propositions about which you may
reason and or argue.
Falsifiability, as defined by the philosopher, Sir Karl Popper, defines
the inherent testability of any scientific hypothesis and that it must
be inherently disprovable before it can become accepted as a scientific
hypothesis or theory.

"A scientific statement is one that could possibly be proven wrong." Sir
Karl Popper
Such a statement is said to be falsifiable. But please  notice that a
falsifiable statement is not automatically wrong. However a falsifiable
statement always remains tentative and open to the possibility that it
is wrong. When a falsifiable statement turns out to be a mistake, we
have a way to detect that mistake and correct it.
Therefore it seems to be  important not to confuse falsifiable,
falsified, and false!
  [:D]
have a good night and sleep well, too
--- In FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com, "salyavin808"
<fintlewoodlewix@...> wrote:

> --- In FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com, "John" jr_esq@ wrote:
> >

> > --- In FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com, "Sharalyn" <homeonthefarm@>
wrote:

> > > My undergraduate degree is in philosophy but I can't seem to grasp
the concept of FALSIFIABILITY, and why it is important. Can anyone
explain it to me in some way different than, say, what Wikipedia has to
say about it? (I've already read Wikipedia and came out as confused as
ever on this topic.)

> > Sharalyn,
> >
> > That's a good question.  We could learn from your idea and put them
in practice while making assertions here on this forum.  Often times,
many of the assertions are personal and emotional which cannot be
accepted as scientific truths.  So, here's Wikipedia's definition of
falsifiability in science: