--- In FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com, doctordumbass@... <no_reply@...> wrote:

> Most of what you say here is irrelevant, having much more to do with your
> inner story, than any tangible effects, pro or con, regarding meditation.
>
> Anything we appropriate for our lives, appears to have a benefit for us
> initially. Its continued benefit, or not, can easily be measured. Not by
> which story fits best in our heads and hearts, but rather, by answering a
> simple question, periodically, "Hey (I say to myself quietly), howzit
> going?". Now, there not being anyone around but me, there is no need to
> bullshit myself.
>
> This is the way I have approached my relationship with TM. There is a real
> difference between having an elaborate justification for something, vs. being
> secure in its value simply because it works properly, as the tool it is
> intended to be.
>
> Seems you've gone from being obsessively naive during your days in the TMO,>

What are you basing this on since we didn't know each other then?  Actually as
a philosophy major at MIU I was involved in the most rigorous challenge to the
beliefs of the movement within the organization.  Or questions were so
troubling that Maharishi eliminated the major even though it was one of the
university's most popular majors.  I did continue to train until I represented
the teaching based on the same criteria you describe above, I believed it was
working for me.

 <to now being obsessively critical with the science-y stuff. Two sides of the
same coin (same as the other coin flipper on here).

This the second time you have conflated the issues of epistemology with being
science-y.  The methods of science are a subset of the issues contained within
epistemology of how do we evaluate the strength of our reasons supporting a
belief.  The scientific method has a limited range of application and is
practically useless when evaluating the philosophical issues I am raising about
spiritual beliefs.

Evaluating the reasons we adapt beliefs is not a science issue.  They have to
deal with it too, but it underlies all of human knowledge.  Even for people who
deny they have beliefs as you have attempted.

Saying that I am being obsessively critical with the science-y stuff is just
another of your many attempts to demonize me personally rather than discuss the
issues I am raising.  But this was a more polite version from the last name
calling session, so thanks for that.